Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Holiday Ornament Exchange trade list

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sherman View Post
    I thought I had posted about receiving Rob's ornament but it appears that I haven't. I received it Saturday it is just beautiful, Rob I appreciate your sacrifice, I would have had trouble sending it too.

Got your ornament..it looks great on the tree. I will give your hint a try tomorrow or Sunday.
    What if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train?

Here's mine for Robert McGowen. It's Mesquite and Box Elder burl, with a walnut perch. Sorry if the pic won't work. iPhoto can't resize the pic and I'm still looking for a way to do it for free on the mac.
    Edited to add pic. Sorry the pic is soo bad, really the ornament isn't so bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kevin McPeek; 12-07-2007 at 11:16 PM. Reason: add pic
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bourgeois View Post
    Got your ornament..it looks great on the tree. I will give your hint a try tomorrow or Sunday.
    Glad to hear it Rob Merry Christmas to all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

The picture looks fine to me. At least it's better than what I can do.

Here's mine for Dennis Peacock

102_3227.JPG

(It looks better in person than in the picture. Really got to work on that. If anyone has cheap suggestions on how to get a better picure with a 5 megapixel kodak, they're welcome!

Hope it gets there OK.

[QUOTE=Ben Gastfriend;713434]Here's mine for Dennis Peacock

(It looks better in person than in the picture. Really got to work on that. If anyone has cheap suggestions on how to get a better picure with a 5 megapixel kodak, they're welcome!

That is a great ornament Ben, if you can turn that at age 13 and you keep turning by the time you are the age of most of us we will be viewing your work in books and galleries. Keep it up. On the photos if you haven’t read Brian Brown’s photo tips posts here at SMC do a search for them. There is a lot of good information on taking pictures of your work. Dave

Got my ornament from Rich today (post #14) Wow! it's a really beauty And he even carved the lil perch! He also sent me a couple other nice things a lil vase and a really cool looking bowl

Thanks so much Rich! Merry Christmas to you and your wife!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gastfriend View Post
    Here's mine for Dennis Peacock

102_3227.JPG

Hope it gets there OK.
    Ben you might want to check out the frugal photo studio writeup by Jamie Donaldson. I've had good results with my setup. Nice ornament, I'm sure Dennis will enjoy it.

Here's a thread from the creek.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=621288

Jamie Donaldson's page.
    http://www.jamiedonaldsonwoodturner.com/techniques.html

Turners are some of the nicest people!

I was fortunate to be on the receiving end of two ornaments in this exchange. I received my first ornament a few weeks ago from Pete Jordan. Not only did I get a beautiful cherry burl ornament but he also sent a nice hunk of cherry burl and a nice hunk of oak burl. That cherry burl has some of the most unique color I've ever seen in a burl. I can't wait to get a chance to turn something from both of them. Thanks again Pete!

Yesterday I received my second ornament, all the way from England, from John Taylor. Along with it was a short history of the origins of the wood in the ornament. It's made from 5000 year old Bog Oak that came from a farm field near his home and from Regal Yew which was salvaged from a storm damaged tree at the church of St Mary Magdalene on the Sandringham Estate, a country retreat of the Queen and Royal Family. The ornament is beautiful and knowing the history behind the wood makes it very special to me. Thank you John!

I'm not sure whether turning brings out the best in people or if nice people just happen to turn wood but turners are some of the nicest people I've ever known!

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Mine from Bobby.

and mine to bobby.

Black and white ebony. My first multi axis turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post

I'm not sure whether turning brings out the best in people or if nice people just happen to turn wood but turners are some of the nicest people I've ever known!

Happy Holidays to everyone!
    Why, of course turners are some of the nicest people! Who else would slave over a bowl for a couple hours only to get a 1/4 inch thickness bowl and 3 trashcans full of woodshavings that you can hope to do nothing with.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

I was on a mission for Christmas tree ornament "parts". I have two different ones in mind......One for a backup and the 2nd more complex. I got what I needed........drove 60 miles......

Don........You'll have one coming no later than next week.

Christmas ornaments will be the first projects off Melba.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I got a BEAUTIFUL ornament via USPS today!!!! Thank You Ben!!!!!!!
    The LOML already has it hanging in our Christmas tree.

You did a really nice job and yours is going out to you. The wife wanted to wait and make a single visit to the post office to ship all the boxes at once. So I'm later in shipping to you than I stated before. I'll post a pic tonight of it.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I'm glad you liked it and it got there safely. Can't wait to see what MASTERPIECE I'll be recieving! Happy Holidays...

~Ben