Thread: Kid's Workbench - Christmas Present!

Kid's Workbench - Christmas Present!

I'd like to build a toy workbench for my nephews, who are 4 and 6 years old. Has anyone built such a toy? I'd appreciate any design suggestions you all can offer. Specifically, what dimensions will be best? Should I build it a little too tall, and let them stand on a stool?

I'd like to have this be something that will last.

I have a few design ideas now:

1. For cost reasons, I want to build this out of dimensional framing lumber (which I'll joint and plane for appearance and safety)

2. The top will be glued up from 2x4 or 2x6 stock, to make it substantial and durable.

3. I'm trying to consider a way to make it collapsible so mom and dad can store it away when not in use. Perhaps I could build a back frame, and side frames, hinged together at the two rear sides?

4. how do I make a vise?!?!

Here are a couple of inspirations:

http://www.heirloomwoodentoys.com/-pr-19035.html

kids workbench

I will be doing this in a few yrs as first grandson was born nov 29.For the price I saw on your example I could do a lot of things.I would look to maybe a harbor little vise.Sounds like your's will be much nicer.What about hinging the sides to swing in and put a stretcher in like a trestle table with pegs,Just a few thoughts how about some pics when you are done. good luck jack

kids tool bench

I just looked on harbor freights site under vise they have a kid work table there might help some. jack

I need to build one for my youngest boys 5th birthday in January. If I'm in the shop, he wants to be there. It's time for him to have his own bench and tools, so he'll keep his hands off my stuff!

I haven't started yet (planning on building it over Xmas break from work), but I'm leaning towards the following plan, courtesy of FWW and Doug Stowe, with some modifications. I'd like to use more solid wood in it, cut down the width of the long aprons, and put a tool tray underneath it. I would rather make it an appropriate height for him, because working on a step stool could be dangerous. Also, even at a low height, I could use it for anything I could sit down to do, or use it as a sawbench. My plan is to make it nice enough that it will be a usable bench, not just a toy.

Hope this helps!

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (15.4 KB, 43 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (29.9 KB, 39 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (76.5 KB, 37 views)