Thread: 1" x 6" Cherry ok for queen bed siderails?

1" x 6" Cherry ok for queen bed siderails?

I have a couple hundred board feet of 1" x 6" cherry (S4S, actual size) and am about to make a queen size bed as a gift for my sister and her husband. Most plans I see use 1.25" x 6.5" or larger side rails. Anyone know if I can use the 1" x 6" stock for the siderails without building them up? I will be laminating a 3/4" x 1.5" ash stringer to each one and using 3/4" stock to make slats to lay between the stringers. There will be a 1.5" x 1.5" ash center support rail with center support leg in the middle. I have no intention of being "cheap" as this is intended to be an heirloom quality piece, but I also appreciate simplicity in design and resourceful use of materials when they don't compromise quality.

Thanks for any input that can be offered,
    Andrew
    Last edited by Andrew Nemeth; 12-17-2007 at 3:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    I have a couple hundred board feet of 1" x 6" cherry (S4S, actual size) and am about to make a queen size bed as a gift for my sister and her husband. Most plans I see use 1.25" x 6.5" or larger side rails. Anyone know if I can use the 2" x 6" stock for the siderails without building them up? I will be laminating a 3/4" x 1.5" ash stringer to each one and using 3/4" stock to make slats to lay between the stringers. There will be a 1.5" x 1.5" ash center support rail with center support leg in the middle. I have no intention of being "cheap" as this is intended to be an heirloom quality piece, but I also appreciate simplicity in design and resourceful use of materials when they don't compromise quality.

Thanks for any input that can be offered,
    Andrew
    Your plan sounds very sound, only I'm confused about this:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    Anyone know if I can use the 2" x 6" stock for the siderails without building them up?
    Are you using 1" x 6" or 2" x 6" stock for the side rails? Either should be sufficient. And I'm glad to hear you are planning a center support leg. That's critical.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Thanks for the reply Charles. I corrected my mistake,the stock is 1" x 6".

-Andrew

Last one I made had 7/8 x 5 3/4 slats and it was still solid as a rock I think you will be fine, I agree with the center leg unless you were to use a lot of slats, I used 12 slats 1" wide by 3/4 " thick and it did not sag but earlier I made one with only 8 slats that one saged and I ended up adding a leg with center support.
    Larry