Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Instrument Case

Andrew

Very nice!!

I have to relate my "case" story. A friend @ work has a license for fully automatic weapons and wanted me to make a "case" for his Thompsom .45, it had to include 3 drum magazines and 3 stick clips~~well I made it out of his specified wood (oak) and when it was finished and "loaded" it weighed in at about 100lbs.!!!!! It sure looked nice but it very impractical

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Beautiful....just beautiful!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

that must have required some reinforcement!

That's wonderful, Andrew! Nice job on that interior!

Oh, and your free bonus avatar....

andrew-av.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

thanks Jim!

Nice job, Andrew!

I play trombone and the original case that came with my Conn 88H has about had it and I've been figgering on what would be the best method to highlight a little woodworking and try to keep the weight down.

Just wondering about how much your case weighs without the instrument inside? Also what are the rough dimensions?

Thanks!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Andrew

Nice case --nice looking instrument --as far as sound
    I'll take me bagpipes and small pipes
    But each is own Ha Ha !!

Wow that purple is popping! Looks great and well done!

9. Beautiful job. The raised panel top makes it distinctive; an unusual choice that worked out superbly. The color of the wood goes well with the instrument and bow, and looks great with the nice choice of fabric for the liner.
    My only concern, and this is a minor one is that with a case that you will transport, the sharp edges could prove more troublesome than more rounded ones. Then again, maybe it is for storage, and not for daily transport, so in that case (no pun intended) it will do just fine.
    Great looking job.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

I've been thinking about making a similar case for my father-in-laws Indian flute. He plays beautifully and has invested in some fairly pricey flutes. Currently, he just transports them in a cloth sleeve of some type.

Nope...can't have that

This thread will be bookmarked for future reference, and my FIL's flute should have a new home under next year's Christmas tree

Tom

1. On the weight....

I did not put the case on the scale but with the instrument inside it weighed in at enough to make you notice the thing.

Interesting that you play trombone! That is my main job, and I have been a professional trombonist for a lot of years! My first thought would be that whatever case you make from wood would just be too heavy!

2. On the corners...

I had precisely the same thought once the thing was finished and being used in its intended purpose. The main issue seemed to be that the corners might have the ability to tear fabrics on upholstered furniture. Next time I might consider looking around a bit longer for corners that are rounder, although the typical instrument case corners would have looked terrible on this piece.

I told the client about this, and she did not think it would be a problem, although she would be cognizant of the threat. I also recommended maybe filing the point down a bit, although I seem to remember that those corners ended up being magnetic, which means it would not take long to file through the brass plating to the steel underneath. I told her husband about it. In any case, they are happy with it.

Live and learn...

Oh the dimensions...

30 X 12 X 6

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    Beautiful case! Thanks for the link to the instrument too. I have toyed with the idea of making a guitar case, but I think it would be too heavy to want to carry it anywhere.

Dan
    My Taylor guitar came with a plywood case. You could drive a car over it with no damage. It's a bit heavier than the standard, cardboard or plastic case, but not as much as you'd think.

My son's Taylor came with the lower-end case. He asked me if I could make him a case. He just flew in from Seattle and it looked like someone in baggage decided to test a chainsaw on his guitar case.

Beautiful work, Andrew!

Thumbs up

That's really neat Andrew. I've thought of building something similar for my daughter's clarinet. Nice work!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Williams View Post
    1. On the weight....

I did not put the case on the scale but with the instrument inside it weighed in at enough to make you notice the thing.

Interesting that you play trombone! That is my main job, and I have been a professional trombonist for a lot of years! My first thought would be that whatever case you make from wood would just be too heavy!
    Yeah, there's the tradeoff between weight and durability that's tough to balance (and still look good! )

What genre do you play? Who do you play with?

I've tried to keep the chops up since college and like to play just about any type of music- but I love jazz/big band.

I think it's interesting how music and woodworking seem to go hand in glove...
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers