Thread: Which router???

Question Which router???

I just received a new router table, and was looking to purchase a router lift. My original plans were to someday purchase a 3 1/2 hp router, and (as finances allowed) get the lift. This I would have to do over time, because I'm not going to have $600 to drop on the two any time soon. I own a 2 1/4 hp (DW 618), which is only a year old. Last year at the Woodworking Show, one of the guys doing demonstrations said that 2 1/4 was plenty of power to do rails and stiles--I would just need to do a couple of passes for the raised panel. So I thought, rather that wait and drop the big bucks, maybe I'll just buy the lift for the 2 1/4, and I can be routing right away. The question is....will I be sorry I didn't go with the bigger router? The smaller lift is not compatible if I decide I need the bigger router. I don't want to buy the bigger lift (and extra for the adaptor) to use with my 2 1/4, and give up the tool free removal option of the smaller lift. My neighbor just made all of his kitchen cabinets, and he told me that I really needed the bigger router for raised panels. He said he still made at least two passes with his 3 1/2. He further stated that for the lower rpm used for cutting the raised panels, you need the tork of the bigger router. I am only a hobbiest, and will likely make only a couple of projects per year, but reaching retirement, where I will have more time to devote to woodworking. My neighor told me I should get a second opinion.

So I'm asking...Will I be happy enough with the smaller router, or should I just wait and aquire the bigger pieces over time???

Thanks Mike

With my Bosch 1617 it takes maybe 6 passes to make raised panels.
    I am getting a larger router.

However, it does rails and stiles just fine in a single pass.

I have a Triton 3-1/2 hp in my router table and I never seem to make it breathe hard even raising panels. It might be overkill .

The variable speed is the key. Most large (3' or bigger) panel bits should not run at 20,000 rpm, they have to be turned down.

The 2-1/4 hp Triton does not need a lift. It is adjustable from above the table.

It was a pretty big investment but I would do it again.

Scott

The Triton 3.25HP router needs no lift.
    It's on sale.

Router

I have the big 3 1/2 HP PC router in a router lift. I still do the raised panel in three passes. I could do it in two but you really need one "hog off the wood" pass and one easy clean up pass for a smooth surface. If I do two passes then it is 80% then 20% if three then 30%, 60%, 10%. A lot of that would depend on the wood.

But I digress. The most important feature is variable speed. You can not make raised panels safely without it.

Another thing I have learned. Don't buy the smaller router lift if you think there might even be a chance you are going to get the bigger router. That would result in a big loss of $$$. Instead get a 3 1/2 HP plunge router like the Bosch or Triton that can be mounted to your table. Both have a lead screw for adjusting the height of the bit. Then some time later you can get a router lift to fit that router. Just make sure there is a router lift you like for the router you buy. I bought the woodpecker lift.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    The Triton 3.25HP router needs no lift.
    It's on sale.
    Where on sale?

I have the PC 7539 mounted in a table and it can handle anything. For my everyday needs, I have the Makita RF1101 Router Kit which can either be a fixed base or plunge router.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bregar View Post
    Where on sale?
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...tructions#tabs
    $214.99 and free shipping at woodcraft

Smile Thank you for responding

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I'm still deciding on what to do--though I won't be buying the smaller router lift. Thanks again

I've raised panels with my big Freud FT2000, big MW5625, and smaller Freud FT1700. The bigger routers have an easier time, but if you're only doing a few panels you don't need a bigger router. The 1700 will do it in about 3 passes depending on the wood, and I'm sure your DW will too.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....