Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Do you really have a guard on your table saw?

No guard...not sure it came with one. Installed board buddies last year and installed homemade splitter.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hill View Post
    I just feel much safer being able to see the blade. But I sure understand the guard on argument also.
    Carl
    MUCH safer? Hmmm...And it's much safer to ride a motorcycle without a helmet so you can get a better view of the pavement coming closer to your head. The blade guard on my General Int. saw is made from clear plastic. I can see right through it. I'm pretty sure that pretty much all factory blade guards are made of clear plastic now days.

Bruce

Blog Entries
    At my business it's mandatory for my employees and myself. At my shop at home it gets in the way when I do segmenting. I've actually had pieces get caught between the gaurd and the blade and get ejected at me. I will say though, if it didn't get in the way when I'm segmenting, I'd use it. Without it, sawdust flys in the air and in a 12x20 shop, it fills the air in one cut. So If I had my druthers, I'd use it as much as possible.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Stack View Post
    First post in a great forum!

Never used the blade guard for a good 15 years. Was always "careful" and used pushsticks, including the aforementioned Vermont American Push Shoe Plus.

Then one day I was ripping poplar into 3/4" x 3/4" stock. I still do not know how it hit the blade, but a 6' long piece somehow popped on top of the blade. The piece of wood shot back through a double pane window and landed about 50 feet away from where it originally was launched. Thankfully I was not standing directly behind it, as I'm most certain I would have been impaled.

Blade guard is now on, thank you.
    Great first post, Pete. Welcome to the forum. This post is a perfect answer to those who think that TS accidents are prevented by paying close attention and having a properly tuned saw. Those things help but it won't prevent all accidents. Sometimes the unexpected happens and you can't alway account for all possible scenarios.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Benjamin View Post
    ...This post is a perfect answer to those who think that TS accidents are prevented by paying close attention and having a properly tuned saw. Those things help but it won't prevent all accidents....Bruce
    Unfortunately, NOTHING will prevent ALL accidents. Being safety conscious and using safety devices as they were intended sure helps.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Put me in the using the guard column. When I was young, I thought a guard was a pain. As I aged I got more careful. Two years ago, I had to replace the plastic part of the guard on my Jet contractors saw due to age.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

Put mine on after taking the pawls off ( I had a bad experience with similar pawls scoring soft woods). Then I had to take it off for the next series of cuts that I had to do, cutting some banding strips. I plan to keep it on or at least make a splitter/riving knife to mount in its place.

Like many, I got a used saw with parts missing. I use push sticks religiously. The ones most people use look very dangerous. I don't like the push shoe idea either, it looks like a good way to get your sleeve caught in the blade. I guess that could be avoided. Some of the safety setups look pretty wise but I haven't had the $ to look in on them yet. However, table saws are known to be dangerous. Watch out for that router or that jointer.

Three saws, 15 years and no guards no splitter. Used saws, either didn't come with it or the guard was horrible. I also saw Norm sawing without it. I felt very safe seeing the blade and had a very healthy respect (Fear) of getting near the blade with my hands. I also didn't rip very thin stock.

Recently bought a used PM66 with guard/splitter and I decided to leave it on. Primarily because I could get it out of the way simply. I like the metal sides that rotate up on top and out of the way. High quality materials.

Just put together an X5 unisaw for my sister and the guard/ splitter that came with the $1800 saw was horrible. First, the guard was lightweight and cheap and it was impossible to get out of the way. Manual said to rotate the plexiglass and use a slot in the back to prop it up. When we did this, the guard would stay up for 5 seconds and then slam down on our fingers. I don't see this guard ever being used. Shame on Delta.

The only other comment that I have on looking over the posts and recommended aftermarket guards/splitters is where did they get those prices??? $250-$500 is what I would pay for a saw, not an attachment.

For final statement, almost everyone's comments echoed the opinion that they would likely used guards and splitters if they were quick to remove, so why don't the saw makers provide one?

Happy new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gordon View Post
    ...For final statement, almost everyone's comments echoed the opinion that they would likely used guards and splitters if they were quick to remove, so why don't the saw makers provide one?

Happy new year.
    The newest saws by Jet and Powermatic (to name two) have a riving knife and guard assembly that is reportedly quick and easy to remove. They heard you.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I'm a convert to the guard

I'm a beginner and not normally a 'safety' type. But I have great respect for, and fear of, the table saw blade. And I notice I'm getting just a bit clumsier and distracted in my old age. I've decided to use the guard as much as possible.

I was also the type to want to watch the blade cut but I've realized that a proper setup really makes this unnecessary.

Don

Original version - no, but I do have a Bies splitter and an Excalibur overarm guard on my saw.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by josh bjork View Post
    I don't like the push shoe idea either, it looks like a good way to get your sleeve caught in the blade.
    Josh, if your wearing sleeves that loose and long, you really shouldn't be using a TS to begin with. The #1 safety device is between your ears. As several folks have said, you're responsible for your own safety.

Mike

The minimax CU300 came with an entirely usable guard that aids greatly in dust collection and is removable in maybe 10 seconds - so why wouldn't I use it? I use seatbelts, crash helmets, ear defenders, flak jackets, when needed so why would I suddenly choose to avoid a safety device in my hobby?
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

"""""""""
    Just put together an X5 unisaw for my sister and the guard/ splitter that came with the $1800 saw was horrible. First, the guard was lightweight and cheap and it was impossible to get out of the way. Manual said to rotate the plexiglass and use a slot in the back to prop it up. When we did this, the guard would stay up for 5 seconds and then slam down on our fingers. I don't see this guard ever being used. Shame on Delta.

The only other comment that I have on looking over the posts and recommended aftermarket guards/splitters is where did they get those prices??? $250-$500 is what I would pay for a saw, not an attachment.

For final statement, almost everyone's comments echoed the opinion that they would likely used guards and splitters if they were quick to remove, so why don't the saw makers provide one?
    """""""""""

The one that came on my Delta Hybrid sucked too, in fact it fell apart while I was using it.

fwiw the Sharkguard comes on and off fairly easy and runs about $135.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.