Thread: Tail vice question

Tail vice question

Has anyone built a tail vice? I am finally going to start a project I have kept putting off for a year and build MY bench. I need advice on tail vice hardware. I have seen the lee valley kit, the atlas machinery kit. I am leaning towards the Deiter Shmid hardware. (German engineering).

http://www.fine-tools.com/G300650.htm

Ideas? Experiences?

I really want to have all my hardware on hand before finishing the plans.

Scott

Lee valley vice

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Velie View Post
    Has anyone built a tail vice? I am finally going to start a project I have kept putting off for a year and build MY bench. I need advice on tail vice hardware. I have seen the lee valley kit, the atlas machinery kit. I am leaning towards the Deiter Shmid hardware. (German engineering).

http://www.fine-tools.com/G300650.htm

Ideas? Experiences?

I really want to have all my hardware on hand before finishing the plans.

Scott
    Hi Scott,
    I used the Lee Valley hardware and it is good and solid but it comes with absolutely no diagrams or anything related to building your wood components. I guess they assume you can figure it out yourself which you can but it adds quite a bit of time to the construction process.

I researched the diagrams in The Workbench Book and then took several hours to design my vise assembly. All in all it's what we do as woodworkers so I shouldn't whine about it, but it seemed a small thing for the manufacturer to throw in a diagram. But once it's built it works great. I'm not familiar with your choice but it looks great. You'll pay a little more but it looks like a good choice.
    Yes Dear, I could build that for you if I only had that new ...

Tail vise instructions

The Lee Valley tail vise does not come with instructions but this page from Woodcrafts site has instructions for basically the same vise.

http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77A41.pdf

That Deiter Schmit hardware looks like it is welded and similar to LN's tail vise. As I understand it you do not need to build a core around that tailvise, unlike LV's. More money but less work and I have been told less of a chance of a sagging tailvise. I have the LV hardware, but have not built the vise yet, I'm still working on the base. If I had to do it over I might save up for the LN hardware.

I called LV and asked about instructions for the tailvise as they are included with their bench plans. Customer Service sent me a PDF containing what look to be good instructions. You cant beat LV's customer service, and I have never gotten a product from them that I was unhappy with, so I'm sure the tailvise will work out well for me.

Jonathan

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

Scott,
    The Dieter Schmid tail vise
    z300650.jpg

looks amazingly like the Lie-Nielsen tail vise,
    L-tail_lg.jpg
    which was one of the stand-out features of the LN workbench when reviewed by Fine Woodworking magazine.

Verses LV ?
    70g0901s2.jpg

I plan to go with the LN vise when I find the time to update my bench.
    rick
    "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Dave Barry

They look so similar as to be almost indistinguishable. After price conversion and shipping LN is also less expensive.

I don't mind no instructions. Designing and drawing are one of the many enjoyable parts of woodworking for me.

Thanks all, I am going to order it today.

By the way: I am sure this is not the place to ask but how do you embed photos in your posts? I tried cutting and pasting but no go. The attachments are OK but sometimes (like previous) it looks better embedded.

Scott

Scott, here are instructions for posting pics http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25115

or use an image hosting site such as photobucket

JOnathan

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.