Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Grizzly Customer Service

I really appreciate Grizzly customer service. They have time and again proven themselves. Their equipment is very good and is beginning to get "best tool" ratings, not just "best value". I have bought several great tools and I am planning to buy a big bandsaw soon.

The fact that the president also steps in truly awesome.

With that affirmation, I think I am done reading this particular thread. Great job, Shiraz!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Cool Shiraz, an idea!

With Grizzly's CS such as this, and Grizzly lacking that high-end, EURO-touch line, you should purchase Laguna. All it lacks is decent CS and you'd be right in the stratosphere with MM, Felder and the rest.
    FRITZ

NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE.
    Buckaroo Banzai [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lautner View Post
    It would be nice if Grizzly would have "taken care of business" without him having to post here.

Dan
    Maybe in a perfect world. But what I witnessed was a fine-tuned positive-feedback system at work. It didn't take much work to get the attention of the big cheese and get the problem solved.

Try posting a message with the subject, "To the president of Delta tools" and see how long it takes for a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lautner View Post
    "Now THAT is taking care of business! That's definitely going to be factored into my future tool decisions "

It would be nice if Grizzly would have "taken care of business" without him having to post here.

Dan
    Actually Shiraz using these forums isn't much different than a store owner taking a stroll through his store and solving problems on the spot.
    There are alot of anecdotes where Grizzly has taken care of bigger problems than this without Shiraz's intervention. I respect the way he does business bigtime.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta View Post

Unreal.

Again, good work, Mr. Balolia. Keep it up.

- Keith
    What Keith said!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Then go to our web site and browse through the manuals and look at the exploded drawings to see the number of parts.
    One thing I love about the Girzzly website is that alot of their machinery pages have exploded drawings that you can shop from. I needed a new switch and plastic front cover for my 20" drillpress. 2 minutes later I found them and ordered them, three days later they were at my door step. And they were dirt cheap, $1.25 for the big plastic front cover, and $4.25 for the paddle switch. (BTW, this was the DP that I bought when I happened to mention on this forum that this was almost the only DP not on sale that summer... Shiraz jumped in and knocked $50 off just for me... Do you wonder why I am a fan?)

Which pretty much is the story EVERY TIME I have ordered from Grizzly whether it was replacement parts or new machinery (uhh, good service, not Shiraz's price breaks).

Shiraz "doesn't have to get involved" to make things happen; it usually just happens and there are millions of happy customers who never post here of their experiences.

All of a sudden one guy posts that he has problems, Shiraz fixes the problem almost overnight (amazing!), and people are questioning why his CS is poor? What more do you want? Dancing girls on your doorstep?
    Last edited by Tim Marks; 01-05-2008 at 3:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FRITZ STOOP View Post
    Grizzly ... should purchase Laguna.
    Why? They already have a couple BS that are as good as or better...

I had a question for Shiraz about the Grizzly planer I was thinking about purchasing and he answered in less than a day. This was simply a question, not a customer service problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Try posting a message with the subject, "To the president of Delta tools" and see how long it takes for a response.

Gee, I sure would like to be able to comment on how good Griz' customer service is, but the 1023 Ive had for the last 20+ years has never needed any. Just now getting it set up after a move back to the mainland from Hawaii, and looking forward to another 20 years of use. If I live that long

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    I purchased the Shop Fox moulder and somehow ordered two When they were delivered I immediately called Grizzly who said I'd have to pay return shipping plus a restock fee for my mistake. When I asked if there was anything they could do to help lessen the "ouch" from a legitimate mistake, they waived the restock fee (about $120).Doc
    That's funny, Grizzly wouldn't waive the restocking fee for an order I made by mistake and it was only about $5. I guess you have more clout.

I am certain Shiraz appreciates your enthusiasm, but I don't think the large bear is quite there yet.

I will say, the difference between the Prez coming to the rescue in a public form and not being able to get a call back from Gaguna could be measured in light years. That is pretty impressive!
    FRITZ

NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE.
    Buckaroo Banzai [/SIGPIC]

Anyone who has ever had to actually run something knows you need two things: Good processes and good people. Grizzly has both. But you also need a kind of ombudsman, since no process and no person is perfect. This is called management by exception. Some people call it management by walking around. The idea that the president of the company would take the time to be ombudsman makes such a company exceptional.

There's a reason half the tools in my shop are green: good quality/price ratio, excellent customer service, and when I couldn't decide which guitar making kit to buy for my son, I messaged the president of the company, and he wrote me back that very day with his recommendations. He earned my business that day, and believe me, before I make any major tool purchase, I check his company's catalog. In fact, I'm about to order another guitar kit for another son. No other major tool company does things as well as grizzly...

Thanks,

Bill

Interesting thread. I have 3 major Grizz tools (though haven't uncrated one yet) and have been very happy with the tools and their CS when I've needed it. I think there are companies that just 'get it' from a customer service/buying experience perspective. Grizz is clearly one and my sense is that it generally comes from the top (witness Shiraz's continual involvement here). My guess is that Laguna doesn't but I'm only speaking from reading posts here. Another company that 'gets it' big time is Amazon--apparently this is an obsession of Jeff Bezos's. There is an interesting article in today's NY Times about Amazon and Bezos that makes that point strongly. You can see it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Levine View Post
    That's funny, Grizzly wouldn't waive the restocking fee for an order I made by mistake and it was only about $5. I guess you have more clout.
    No, I just begged a lot.

Be well,

Doc