Thread: What I did today, not turning, but related

What I did today, not turning, but related

Well,

Had some time today and got my parts yesterday for my just purchased Delta 1460. The bearings where a bit noisy and very dry. Found a replacement set for $50.00 from a local Bearing dealer.

I really thought about a complete tear down and rebuild/repaint, however the more I looked at it the more I wanted to keep it in its current state. Really wanted to clean it up allot and make it work better. When I got it the banjo was a pain to move and the tailstock was hard to move too.

First a pic as I purchased it.

And one of the ways

I took it all apart, including the headstock. Replaced the bearings, Boeshielded the bed and any exposed cast iron. Cleaned the wood and polished it somewhat. Put it all back together and very happy with it. I need to replace the belt with a segmented belt so I just put the old one on for now. It will be easy just to cut the old one off and put a segmented one on when I get it.

This came with a Craftsman Variable speed motor 3/4 hp I think. It is a little noisy, but gives me variable speed.

Here is a couple more pics of the finished product.

Well time to call it a day, sorry for the fuzzy pics. I guess I need more light in the garage.

More tomorrow,

Very Happy the way this it turning out.
    Cannot wait to make some chips.

J
    o
    h
    n

Very nice John, that lathe should serve you very well till the " more power" syndrome hits . On your next photo shoot , using a tripod and the timer on the camera works wonders for the " fuzzy " problems. As I got older I found that nothing holds still anymore .
    John 3:16

Well done John. You've got a good looking lathe that should work fine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice restoration!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Awright John progress is a wonderful thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

That's a beauty. Looking forward to see many projects come off that. If you can adjust the shutter speed on your camera, you might not have fuzzy problems???? Just a thought.

Cool John! Let me pass something on to you that I learned with my Jet. I had built a table much like you have and the wood chips between the rails kept building up creating a big cleanup problem. I finally took my table off and cut an opening the size of the rails so the chips could drop through. Huge difference.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Wow, that turned out very nice!

Great looking lathe John ... Nice job!

Looks great John! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks to all for the nice comments.

Paul, Thought about the tripod after I went to bed.. Next ones will be better.

Bernie, thx, I think it will work for me untill I can buy the mustard.

Jim, thx.

Tom, it took some time to find the bearings, after I got them I could not wait to get it going.

Ben, this camera is my old cheapee, I use it in my shop, that way if I saw it in half or something happens to it I am not too worried. I have a better one somewhere that I will have to dig out today and try to take some better pics.

Christopher, I think my plan is to use some magnetic rubber that I have laying around, It will stick to the ways. I have a bunch of it so I can cut several differnt sizes and just put them over the ways. I know it will be a little pain, but think it will help allot. The lathe is in its original form except for the motor and I don't really want to cut the table up any.

Curt, thx, I am very happy with the way it has turned out.

Shane, thx

Steve, I look forward to some of my turnings too. I have only done a couple things on my little Jet mini, I am glad to have the extra room and mass.

Well after I get the different drive belt my next project will be build a mobile base for it. I want to add a couple hundred pounds to it for mass. Build some sort of chisel holder for it.

The motor makes a little noise, I hope it last a long time. I didn't expect to find a variable speed lathe, but happy I have. I guess I could have it rebuilt if it does die.

Thanks again for all of the nice coments, I hope to get some better pics up later today.

J
    o
    h
    n

Nice tool!

Much better tan my old Sears two tube model. the vriagle speed motor will pay off nicely too. Happy turninbg, and Welcome.
    Bob