Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A preliminary air quality analysis of my shop

i would like to purchase a unit as well...preferably the .5 micron unit.

I'll take either one Phil, depending on the test results.

The next interesting aspect of this Dylos air testing unit would be to conduct a test in actual shop conditions, and compare the test results against the often quoted claims by some of the dust equipment manufactures.

Take some of the bigger magazines that routinely test table saws, planers, bandsaws etc., give them this meter and let them test:
    - the 2 bag dust collection units under identical conditions cutting MDF on the same saw with a new standardized 1 mil bag on each machine, same blade tec.
    - next test the cyclone units again with a standardized filter (maybe WYNN) same piping configuration and distance from table saw and see what happens

Cyclones are where I really suspect there has been some exaggerated claims made by some if not all manufactures and this sort of test would tell the tale! I know I need to improve my shop duct collection system; however, before I spend a bundle on new dust collection units, cyclone or otherwise, I feel that a good independant test would show WHICH CYCLONE MANUFACTURES really can back up their claims of having a quality unit. I suspect some manufactures don't want the indepedant test results known because I have never seen a test like this done in any magazine and I can only surmise that the manufactures don't want us to know the real truth. Bill Pentz has worked over the years to educate us, the machine users, about the problem with dust in our shops and I suspect he has worked with several cyclone manufactures to improve their machines - speciafically Onedia and Clear-Vue. I suspect any cyclone manufacturer who has faith in their product, would gladly submit product for an independant test of machine effectiveness!

Kudos to you Phil for moving the yardstick higher in the effort to protect our health and give us the tools to evaluate and hopfully improve out own shop comfort and safety. Keep us the good work!

Bob

Bob (Malone),

I think we're (you, I, and almost every other woodworker on these forums) are in the same boat. For years we've been living the Emporer's New Clothes fairy tale. We're asked to accept for fact that which we cannot see. Furthermore, we pay for a solution to a problem but have no way of verifying that the solution worked (or didn't matters worse)!

I'm not saying fine dust isn't there. But with the cost of the Dylos, we can test for ourselves. We can gauge our risk, and take action which we deem appropriate for our own situtation.

I will say that so far, I'm quite surprised at the results of my testing. I made a wall shelf for the Dylos last night. It is small and made of baltic birch and a little cherry trim. At no time when I was cutting/sanding/etc. did I exceed a count of 350(00) 1-micron and larger particles.

It will be interesting to see the .5-micron tests. But at this point I'm far less concerned that I'm killing myself with boxcar loads of fines than I was just a week ago. And I've already pinpointed things I can do to keep the dust down.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 01-12-2008 at 12:23 PM.

I'd be interested in hearing what you come up with Rob.

Might be of benefit to those who have basement shops.

Have to admit I'm not quite to the level of concern that some of you are when it comes to DC, but enough has been said that I ordered a couple of the 7500 series 3M filter masks and will use them over the white disposable ones I have been using.
    Thanks all.

Al...who doesn't think "cough cough" its effecting him "cough" hardly at "cough cough" all....
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Al-I agree, I do worry a bit more than most, so I also wear a good dust mask (Moldex N99). But a big part of my concern is also the other members of the house, including two little kids, hence my interest in this device.

Yes

If it is not to late I would like to put my name in the hat to get the .5 M version. Just let me know what the procedure is for getting one and the money to who needs it. I just built a new house with a 4 car and am using the last 2 bays as a shop that I will enclose soon hopefully.

thanks for your post and education.

I'd be in for one, but at this time I'd only be interested in the .5 micron unit if we get a total order of 25 or more.

Qty. 25, .5-micron, $142.99 each.

Quote Originally Posted by John Newell View Post
    I'd be in for one, but at this time I'd only be interested in the .5 micron unit if we get a total order of 25 or more.
    What he said.

(Given where I live, it will be interesting to see what the "baseline" values are.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I assume the .5 micron unit measures particles as low as .5 micron, whereas the 1 micron unit only sees particles 1 micron and larger, right?

If this is accurate, we may see different results on the .5 micron unit, i.e. the 1 micron unit may be missing some / most of the particles. Should be really interesting, as these are the dangerous sized particles.

Also, if Phils prelim. results are commonplace, it seems wearing a good dust mask while using ww machines, may be all we need, as it seems the particle levers fall pretty fast after this. If that is the case, then IMO, I can live with it...

Phil...I sent you a PM.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    So far I've got:

Victor Stearns
    Mike Carlson
    Will Blick
    Rob Blaustein
    Brad Shipton
    Steve Leverich (probably two--should be able to get discount)
    Eric Gustafson
    Greg Funk
    Greg Peterson

About +8 guys at another site (the name we don't speak), so 17 as I write this.

So we'll get 25 no problem.
    Count me in for one.

Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    I assume the .5 micron unit measures particles as low as .5 micron, whereas the 1 micron unit only sees particles 1 micron and larger, right?

If this is accurate, we may see different results on the .5 micron unit, i.e. the 1 micron unit may be missing some / most of the particles. Should be really interesting, as these are the dangerous sized particles.

Also, if Phils prelim. results are commonplace, it seems wearing a good dust mask while using ww machines, may be all we need, as it seems the particle levers fall pretty fast after this. If that is the case, then IMO, I can live with it...
    Exactly. Specifically, the .5 model has two thresholds: Everything above .5-microns and everything above 2.5 microns.

The 1-micron's thresholds are 1-micron and 5-microns.

So the test Roger (the developer) will conduct will put the two units side by side. He will saw and sand some pine and some MDF. If the #'s on both units climb at approx. the same rate, then that perhaps (not definitely, but with some certainty) wood dust isn't that big after all.

Now mind you, I'm not saying we should buy the 1-micron if they both give the same results for wood. The .5-micron may be handy for someone some day for other purposes. There are uses for these things outside of the shop.

But the test results should be interesting.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 01-12-2008 at 1:59 PM.

Great plan of attack Phil, thank you again for spear-heading this. I did not get much response regarding compensating you for your efforts, but hopefully others will come forward and we can work something out. A deed this noble should not go un rewarded. I hope others feel the same way.

I wrote previously....

> Also, if Phils prelim. results are commonplace, it seems wearing a good dust mask while using ww machines, may be all we need, as it seems the particle count fall pretty fast after the machine is turned off. If that is the case, then IMO, I can live with it...

Just to be clear, for those maybe new to this.... I am NOT suggesting that we abandon DC systems, venting outside when we can, opening up the shop doors when possible to air out the dust, etc. etc.

What I was referring to...... with all these Dust control measures in place, it's possible, we can solve 90% of the remaining airborne dust problem by wearing a respirator when actually making the dust.... if the dust settles within minutes. WE don't have to wear the respirators most of the day... this would be great news IMO....and will make these meters invaluable to all of us, as we finally have a tool that enables us to SEE the particle count. Then, we can sleep at night knowing we have taken adequate safety measures while not making ww so inconvenient. It will also help reduce some of us who have continuous paranoia of the potential risks of this hobby.

Count me in

I'm up for a 0.5 unit.

Now mind you, I'm not saying we should buy the 1-micron if they both give the same results for wood. The .5-micron may be handy for someone some day for other purposes. There are uses for these things outside of the shop.
    Yes, that was what I was thinking...

But the test results should be interesting.
    Definitely.