Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally-First project completed-Workbench

Finally-First project completed-Workbench

Just yesterday (Sunday) I finished my first project - my workbench. This project has been in the "works" for three years. It was a matter of slowly collecting the necessary machinery and the place to put it.

The center of the workbench is actually a chunk of a bowling alley that my step son gave me two years ago. I had to flatten the surface (bowling ball wear - I guess) with a router sled and rails. I then wrapped it with 4x4 oak, attached a subframe, laminated the legs (oak and walnut),attached the feet (walnut), attached the stretchers (all thread through the centers with walnut caps), attached the skirt and end vise (hard maple), installed the t-track and twin screw vise hardware and finally finished it all off with boiled linseed oil.

It is not perfect but it sure beats using my table saw as a workbench. It is not as long as most workbenches (55") but it is fairly wide (33") and a little bit taller than most (39" - this ole back doesn't bend over as easy as it used to). I plan on building boxes, treasure chests and hope chests so I figure it should be adequate.

This sure was quite the learning experience! When glueing - you can never move fast enough or have enough clamps. Plan your work and then work your plan. Never, ever sneeze while routing - see attachment! SHARP tools (chisels and planes) are SO much easier to use. Measure, think about it and then measure again - hard maple is expensive!

I would like to thank all of you SMCers for all the ideas, tips and tricks I gained by surfing the posts - it was a tremendous help!

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To err is human, but when the eraser wears out before the pencil ... you're over doing it !

That's a great bench!!!! Wow...nice...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Larry, that bench looks great. The chunk of a bowling alley seems to make a good top. Perhaps I'm a sucker for projects with contrasting wood, but the legs are super. That's an idea I've saved to possibly use when I get started on a bench. Thanks for posting the pictures.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

3 years!
    I bet the night you knew it would be finished on the following day you didn't sleep a wink. Looks fantastic. I like the use of the router to flatten the top. I'm going to do that on my next bench.

Sweet Momma! That is one nice bench!
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 01-14-2008 at 6:59 PM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Wow that is a great bench, I'm jealous! I can see that you took your time and it shows.

That is velly velly nice!! Interesting idea putting the track into the top. LOVE the laminated legs...very slick and really adds a nice touch to the whole bench!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Wow, time well spent, now the hard part: not being afraid to break it in. Great job!

Nice bench Larry! I really like the contrast between the oak and walnut. That's a very nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry VanWinkle View Post
    Never, ever sneeze while routing - see attachment! ...hard maple is expensive!
    I know what you mean! I ruined a piece of hard maple yesterday while routing a dado. At first the bit started wandering past my layout line and I thought "that's weird." Then it started going farther and farther. It took me about 3" to realize my straight-edge wasn't clamped very well! Ouch. Lesson learned.

Again, very nice bench Larry!

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

That's about as fine a looking work bench that I've seen home made or commercial... great job....

That's a beautiful bench! Great job.

I'm impressed with your patience. 3 years is a long time.

Very nice bench Larry. I used the same router sled method to flatten my workbench when I built it, and it works like a charm. Were there any nail heads to deal with in that bowling alley slab?

I also used the same method of a sandwiched board in the leg to make the tenon for the sled base. It results in a flawless mortise and tenon joint with little effort.

Have you figured out the weight on that thing yet?

What are the dimensions of your bench? I have a 6' and 4' piece of bowling alley out in the garage that I am waiting to do something with. The six footer is going to become a shuffle board table, but I am not sure about the 4'. The 6 is pine and the 4 is maple, although they both weigh about the same. I also have a 5' piece of butcher block that I might use for a bench.

Do you have a link where you found out how to use to router sled to level the top? I am going to need to do something like that.

Larry

Sweet looking bench...
    I to like the contrasting woods for the legs.

You did a great job!

Much better than my first bench. Great Job!!!