Thread: Cutting table top underbevel

Cutting table top underbevel

I've started on my first table top with a 15 deg underbevel (to lighten the appearance). I am puzzling on how to cut the bevel, preferably by hand (or combo power/hand). I don't own a table saw, could make a high fence for the right side of the bandsaw blade but with this shallow angle might have trouble clearing the guides (haven't checked) unless they are way up out of the picture. I need to remove about half the 3/4 inch top thickness at the edge.

To plane all of it off would be a chore on the end grain especially. Should I try and handsaw it close and then plane to final dimension? Might be a bit tricky starting the cut on the diagonal. Any "guides" advised for the final planing, as I suspect any variations from a "perfect" bevel might be both noticable and objectionable.

I'm fishing for ideas here folks.

Thanks
    Jim B

It's really pretty easy to do it with the hand plane. As long as your blade is really sharp. Mark your lines on the edge, and on the where you want your bevel to start (on the face) to establish the angle. Or you can just eyeball it. I read somewhere that your eyes are your most accurate measuring instrument - and it's true. Bevel your ends first so that any tearout is cleaned up when you bevel your sides.

Mike has a good suggestion. I was going to suggest the same thing but use a rasp with succeedingly finer files/abrasives. Do the lines as Mike suggests on the outside of the edge and inside on the face to set where to start the bevel from. Rasps/files will give a little more control over starting exactly on the line if you're not to comfortable using a plane to do this.

I've done just as Mike said. Draw lines on the edges/sides, and the bottom and carefull plane to them. With a really sharp plane, it is a pleasure.

Ken

In the new FWW is has an how to about doing table edges.

As Mike has said, it is pretty easy, and as Mike also said, make sure you do the end grain side first, to prevent any blow-out. With a sharp plane, you would be surprised how quickly it goes, and how good your first results will be.

T.Z.

I have created such a bevel pretty quickly by using a careful layout, and taking out most of the waste with a drawknife. Finishing with a handplane then takes only a little while.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop