Thread: Need help with Rotozip tool

Need help with Rotozip tool

Hello,
    I have just purchased a Rotozip RZ1 cutting tool, and I have a question for anyone who might have this same tool. I know that a Rotozip isn’t one of the most discussed tools on this forum, but I’ll take a chance that someone else owns one and can help me with this question.
    I’m trying to use the Rotozip to cut a round (or even square) hole in 1/4 inch MDF. For reasons which aren’t important to this question, I need to keep the depth of cut as shallow as possible. I’d like to be able to have the cutting bit protrude no more than 1/4 inch below the bottom of the depth guide of the tool, thereby exposing only 1/4 inch of the bit. But I can’t get the bit to insert far enough into the shaft to reduce the exposed bit to 1/4 inch.
    Does anyone know whether this tool can accommodate such a shallow depth of cut? Does Rotozip sell shorter bits, or is there any other idea that anyone who owns this tool knows of to do what I’m trying to do? I don't want to make this cut with a router, nor do I want to do it by hand.
    Thanks,
    Louis

I've never seen shorter blades. If it was me I would just put a blade in a vise with the extraneous part sticking out and whack it with a hammer. It's very brittle. It should break clean.

On my rotozip the head adjusts to get whatever depth you want.

What James said. Adjust the blade guard out. Works great on already hung 1/2" drywall...

Thanks,

Bill

Hello again,
    I have already adjusted the depth ring as far as it will go, but it has a limit, and it won't allow me to adjust it far enough to give me only 1/4 inch of exposed bit. This is the Rotozip RZ1 tool. If there is a different Rotozip model which allows unlimited depth adjustment, and someone has one of these, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Louis

I have done depth limited cutting with my RZ20 down to 1/2" but I can't remember if it goes any lower than that.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

I'll second Albert's suggestion as a free option. I just checked my rotozip and with the router attachment, I can expose 1/4 of an inch, but not less. If you don't have the router attachment, you can pick one up online. I have an RZ20 if it matters.

http://www.tylertool.com/roplroatpr2.html

Hello again,
    Thanks for the info about the router attachment for the Rotozip.
    Let me change the question slightly though. If I break off (or hacksaw off) about a half-inch of the shaft of the bit, I can get down to my 1/4 inch objective, but the instructions on the Rotozip say that the spiral cutting portion should not be allowed to be inside the collet. I've used drill bits in such a way as to have the cutting portion of the bit "inside" the drill collet. Do you think that I would hurt the tool if I did this? I wouldn't care if it hurt the bit.
    Thanks again,
    Louis

How about cutting a piece of 1/2" plywood the shape of the base. Drill a hole in the center for the bit. Then use double sided carpet tape to hold it onto the base. That would be the same depth change as breaking a bit off .
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

Hi Louis, there is a couple of way to get what you need done. You didn't say if you are using the 1/4" or 1/8" bit, but that done not really make any difference. You can use a router bit in place of the Roto bit. they are shorter and don't know if it would be short enough or not. Roto dose make /sell router bits to fit their tool. nothing more then regular router bits over priced. If you still need to cut shallower you can add a 1/4 or 1/2 base to move the bit higher. Depending on what you have for the depth guide. I can't help you out there. I have seen square, round and even a router attachment that will fit the Roto. One word of caution is the router bit "Will" be more aggressive then the up / down spiral cutting tool make sure you have good control of the tool while cutting. HTH Dale
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale