Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insulating Garage doors

I just placed an order for a insulated garage door (R 15.67) with insulated windows. There went a house payment!

Box Packaging!

Beleive or not, I ave been slowly insulating mine withte polystyrene whcih comes in any boxes I receive. Many are justt the right size. Some need to be doubled up.

Now it doesn't look professional by any means, but it performs the function desired. COst me nothing and I don't have to break them dowm for the trash man.

You probably already know this, but you should concentrate on sealing up the air leaks before bothering to insulate the door panels. If you can't seal up the leaks, replace the door. You can insulate it all you want but if the weatherstripping is ineffective you haven't done anything.

Thank you Creekers. Great ideas and the task doesn't seem nearly as daunting now that I know many of you have completed the same project.
    Cut once, bandage twice!!

I used 1.5" yellow foam board faced with aluminum foil, sold at Home Depot for like 8$ for a 4x8 foot sheet. It has much better R value than either the blue or white styrofoam, and is IMMENSELY cleaner! You can cut the panels out with a utility knife with no mess or little styrofoam balls rolling around.

I did a 3 car garage in 40 minutes, slip the pieces in over the panel lips, then spray exanding poly foam ("Great Stuff") in the lip to seal it. In Phoenix, it dropped my garage temp 30 degrees F in a West facing garage in the summer, instantly. I've dont this at two houses now, and I can say absolutely--use the foil covered foam board, NOT the while/blue styrofoam.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

We're in the process of getting a wood operation going and had to have insulation. Heat didn't go anywhere but to the eleven foot ceilings and heated the metal roof. The clincher came when it started to "rain" inside the building from condensation. We got a company to spray insulation on and while they were at the ceiling and walls also got them to do the 10x10 roll up door. Works very well. I'm sure that it would be cost prohibitive to hire just a door done but there should be homeowner type products that would work. If you find something I'd spray a small area first to see that it would stick and stay stuck to your door.

Now to finish the furniture we're making for the guy as partial payment for the insulation job.

I used duct wrap holds the temp nicely

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Haycraft View Post
    Two words. Spray foam.
    Should take about half an hour to do and costs about the same as foam panels. I just did my basement with the stuff.. Very easy to do and much simpler than cutting and fitting foam panels.
    Easy for you to say! If I used it, I would have foam everywhere but on the door.

I used a foil foam foil insulation that I stapled to each door segment. The door will still roll up and down - which is something I need to do frequently. All in all, the insulatino works well for me. I also put new weatherstripping around the entire door, so I don't have any drafts.

Did I mention the part about wearing a tyvek suit? Seriously though, it is only really messy if working overhead. Otherwise a drop cloth and a bit of plastic is enough to keep from making a mess.

If you are comfortable with your masculinity, pink insulation board works as well.

Quote Originally Posted by David Giles View Post
    If you are comfortable with your masculinity, pink insulation board works as well.
    pink in my workshop... Heavens no!