Thread: Opinions needed on potential table saw purchase

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    I'll take a different tack from Fred. My gut feeling is t's a newer saw, 1982 to 1993 or so, with a pea green paint job. I too find it strange to change out the guts on a 66 unless there was a really bad accident along the way. I can't understand why he didn't paint the entire saw either, but that's just me.

I'm more concerned with the statement:

Something smells funny... I can see machining a table top, but there's NO reasonable explanation to machine a bottom of a top. Besides, the only viable way to machine a table that size is with a Blanchard grinder. There's very few places that can handle tables that size and they charge accordingly. Unless there was a major flaw, nobody in their right mind would even consider it. In short, I think the guy is blowing smoke, my opinion obviously. Ask to see a machine shop receipt.

I'd be cautious, find out what's the real born on date, the trunnion color and box color don't coincide. The box is obviously newly painted, might or might not be true to form. The trunnion doesn't appear repainted, why? Is it original? If not, why not? Not that any of this is a fatal flaw, it just might lead you to more work than you anticipated such as replacing bearings that never were. I'd consider fair value accordingly though.

The 3ph motor is really not that big a deal. A VFD, RPC or motor swap will all fix that for about the same cost.

Mike

Almost forgot, Fred, that's a heck of a restore! nice, very nice!
    Thanks for the compliment. It was a lot of fun and a very good learning experience.
    I was wondering about the bottom machining too. I've never heard of anyone doing that. There are a couple of spots that are machined on the bottom of those tables though. The pictures do look like a Blanchard grind to me and I would think there might be several places in an area like Seattle that would be able to do that. That table grind usually runs ~$100+ per.
    The dust door is from a newer machine, the motor cover appears older (not plastic as now), the handwheels and lock knobs are old style. I would guess this was a project saw and made from some older and some newer parts with an older cabinet.
    I would look at the arbor and the arbor sheave to guage vintage of that area. Two belt system is new style for the sheave.
    I'm thinking this guy bought this saw, 3 phase, rode hard, on the cheaps (check the auctions); put some money into fixing it up to more modern standards (the fence and rails) and is trying to get it all back. It definitely isn't a $1200 saw IMHO for a home shop, as is.
    If it were me, I would closely inspect the inside of the saw.
    That trunnion swap isn't cheap. Most common failure is the end teeth on the gear for angle adjust get broken off. If the trunnion was dropped when he was rebuilding it shatters pretty easily.
    I definitely agree, it's a mixed bag of parts but that alone wouldn't make me walk away from it. I would ask lots of questions, plan on replacing the bearings just because you know for sure it has been done, that's cheap and proactive for a long life and good cutting.

I've seen lots of the older PM66s 3 phase, older rail and fences go for $300-400 in auctions. Add another $400 to restore it and there you go.
    I would have given it a matching paint job though.
    Last edited by Fred Woodward; 02-02-2008 at 8:43 PM.