Thread: Pen Riddle

Pen Riddle

Hello,
    Two new pens from me. A Cigar and a button click. And a like you to guess what they are made of.
    Critiques welcome.

CIGAR Bambus 1A.jpg IKlickBA.jpg

Easy one. Bamboo. I have done a few of these--very nice to buy a $5 cutting board from a kitchen supply place and turn it into 15 pen blanks.

Nice work!

Horst those are a couple of good looking pens. Not sure what they are made of.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Lets see now!

brass, steel, maybe ceramic, wood, more wood. Am I getting warm?
    Bob

Bamboo? Neat-o! Great pens, do you get alot of tearout on the endgrain?

When I have turned bamboo, I have found that you need very sharp tools--and you are best off with a skew and maybe finishing with a shear scraper. I of course relied on the 60 grit gouge quite a bit. It is very stringy, particularly when roughing down. Be prepared for lots of long sharp stringy strands. Don't quite need gloves but you could use them if you were in a production setting.

I also found that you can laminate the pieces for thicker stock. I made one tool handle out of bamboo. It is incredibly light and stiff.
    Last edited by Chris Fierro; 02-04-2008 at 7:38 PM. Reason: typo

Hello,
    Of course Chris is right: it's bamboo.
    And I can only confirm what he said about working the stuff. You can get tearout in every stage of the work ( except sanding ). When you drill a blank it's best done from both sides; otherwise see above. When I did the button click pen I ruined 4 blanks in one way or another before I ended up with a finished pen. And that was with a lot of help of the 60 grit gouge.

Horst