Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What material for a tool cover?

What material for a tool cover?

I'd like LOML to make me a tool cover for my lathe in the garage. I'd like to turn the heat off when I'm not using it for days on end. I've been leaving the heat on, set at 45, to keep the temp above the dew point and have had pretty good luck. Then I got the gas bill. So what material would work best? I was thinking something breathable like cotton, but then I wondered if that would just breathe the humid air in and trap it.

BTW, I use Boeshield T9 and Renaissance Wax on the ways and still got rust before I added the heat.

I cover a few with woven cotten painters tarps I get at the Depot. Keep in mind I am in Atlanta.. so I don't know if your more radical cold would affect what I use sucessfully?

Sarge..

Maybe try a breathable cover and a light bulb - you'd need some sort of metal screen to keep the cloth away from the light bulb, but this should keep condensation at bay for about $3-4 a month (for a 60 watt bulb)

You do NOT want a non-breathable cover, this WILL trap moisture where you don't want it... Steve

I use some old flannel sheets in my unheated gets very cold garage and haven't had any problems.

I use old cardboard boxes laid flat on my TS and Jointer. I waxed both before the winter and then put them away. My garage is not heated and I have not seen any rust yet.

I double layer

I use an old cheap blanket and then cover that wiith a tarp.
    This is north Florida, near the coast.
    Lots of humidity, occsasional dense fog.

my garage workshop is unheated. i protect the bare steel with paste wax (don't ever use silicon spray - get it on wood and no finish will stick). the paste wax is also good protection against visiting neighbors who set their cold can of cola on unpainted steel surfaces.

I think just covering it is the key. Car exhaust has a ton of moisture in it, and covering it keeps it off the machines.

Hello,
    I cover a few with woven cotten painters tarps I get at the Depot.
    Ditto - except I use the painters drops from HF.
    Nearly the same weight as the HD/Lowes cotton drops, but a fraction of the cost when they go on sale.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

James,
    I don't have any problems here in Toledo. My shop is in the garage and is unheated. I treat my lathe bed with WD40 only after turning wet woods.

I treated by BIL's CI TS top with WD40 a year ago. It still looks the same as when I last cleaned it. His saw is upstairs in an unheated horse barn. Even the strong ammonia vapor didn't bother it.

Blog Entries
    James, I am just around the corner (sort of) and I would recommend a libral waxing of the ways and just about everything else and use the tool covers from HTC. I havent had much in the way of problems since using Ren. wax and I just started adding the cover for my new jointer.

James,

I am in the same situation as you. I personally use those large thick blue blankets you get from U-haul to cover furniture with. I apply a coat of Johnson's paste wax to my CI first, then cover all my machinery with those blankets, and to date, haven't had any problems. Granted, I also use a dehumidifier to keep moisture levels at a minimum, but hands down, those blankets are the BEST! They are soft, breatheable, thick, and large enough to cover the entire machine. Just my .02 cents.

Randy.
    Last edited by Randy Dutkiewicz; 02-07-2008 at 8:34 AM.

13. I have used cloth and wood. I prefer wood - cheap ply is fine

Thanks for the great suggestions. It sounds like everyone that uses a cover uses something breathable, namely cotton or wool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Michael View Post
    the paste wax is also good protection against visiting neighbors who set their cold can of cola on unpainted steel surfaces.
    So is one of those little souvenir bats from the ballpark ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler