Thread: What small compressor for a hobbyist ?

Question What small compressor for a hobbyist ?

I 'd like to buy a small portable compressor for my very crowded garage shop. I'll use it mostly for a pin nailer, the electric one I have doesn't work very well. I'm just a beginning hobbyist, any suggestions on type? brand? size?pricing? I know nothing about compressors, anything else I should look for?
    Thanks
    Dennis

PS I see Harbour Freight has a 3 gallon, oilless, 100PSI compressor on sale for $50, is that something I should be interested in? (I know just mentioning Harbor Freight gets people riled up, but I've done OK with most, not all, of their stuff)

Just watch out for low cut-in on the pressure switch. I had a small 120 psi CH that otherwise should have had no problem with a nailer, but the pressure switch did not cycle until the tank was down to 75psi. Most brad nailers operate in the 80-90 range. Once it dropped below the tool working pressure all I could do was bleed off more pressure until it fired up. You may have to ask to see the manual if the switch isn't labeled.
    - Tom

I bought a porter cable pancake compressor, finish nailer and brad nailer set for $250. The compressor works great. I have even used it for a roofing nailer.
    I think HD has them at $89

I buy some harbor freight stuff. I try to stay away from anything with a lot of moving parts. The HF compressor may be more prone to develop a leak. It might take longer to fill or might not last as long. Other than that its just air.

buy a bostich or pc 2hp 4 gallon pancake compressor. you can pick one up used for around a 100 dollars pretty redily on craig's list. i have one im selling with a 18g pin nailer for 140. and i am not selling it due to work limits with it, i just upgraded to a ridgid twin tank that had more scfm and twing outlets, and was garunteed for life. and it happened to be on sale at the time of purchase. for running a pin nailer though the pancake compressor worked fine. but stay away from habor freight never had anything but problem with them (short life, long pressure switch etc..) but keep an eye on your local craig's list or post a wtb add on there and you will get one for he price of a cheap hf compressor and chances are it will last you 10x longer.
    a proud member of local 47 plumber's and steamfitters. union construction getting it done right and on time the first time.

If a 2 1/2 gallon is small enough for you , Home Depot is closing out their model for 49.00. Twin aluminum tanks. It aired up the 80 psi tires on the back of my van easy enough. Haven't used it with the pin nailer yet. Close out price. May or may not be available at your local HD. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim's suggestion is a good one. And if your local 'borg doesn't have that deal, there are a variety of small compressors available that are perfect for pinners and brad guns. I have a small Husky I got for $89 from the orange 'borg a few years ago so I would have something portable to use in and around the house. It's getting a lot of use right now as I install cabinetry in the addition and will continue to do so as I tackle some other tasks coming up, like putting in all new trim in the great room after the addition in complete. Very handy and worth the investment.

And if you don't have an 18 gage brad gun (or some other ones), the combo packages at the borg are often very good buys for both a small pancake compressor and one to three different guns that will compliment your pinner very nicely.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

dennis, keep in mind that the cheaper "hobbyist" air compressors can be pretty deafening. i had a PC pancake compressor that was driving everyone including the neighbors crazy until i bought a slightly more expensive thomas air compressor.

If you are just using small tools, I agree a pancake or twin hot-dog unit would be a good buy for you. The deal the Jims mention sounds like a great one to me. If you can't find that, I can recommend the Harbor Freight twin hot-dog unit. It has an oiled pump which means it is somewhat quieter. I've had one for a few years now and it is one of those good Harbor Freight deals. You can usually get it in the $90 range.

I had a no-name import (harbor-freight clone) that a friend sold me for $35.00. I got my $35.00 worth laying a few floors and hanging some trim but that is about it. It was a 2 gallon pancake model that was very poorly made and eventually the crankcase seperated and the oil leaked out. It was also way heavier that a contractor friend of mines Porter-Cable pancake.

I have a larger, older craftsman in the shop that does a great job but I am considering a pancake porter-cable.

I have noticed that the HD near me often has compressors on clearance. I think alot of people play the buy it, use it once bring it back game and then HD sells them at reduced cost.