View Poll Results: what is your favorite all around wood?

Voters
491. You may not vote on this poll
  • oak

68 13.85%
  • walnut

130 26.48%
  • cherry

163 33.20%
  • maple

74 15.07%
  • ash

10 2.04%
  • other (please post it!)

46 9.37%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: favorite wood?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    THAT i would like to see.

what did you make with it ???
    Here you go www.ancientwood.com click on exceptional grain. I haven't ordered it yet but I've studied up on it and will probably get some in the next couple weeks. I plan on building my Humidor with it.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 01-25-2008 at 8:40 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Here you go www.ancientwood.com click on exceptional grain. I haven't ordered it yet but I've studied up on it and will probably get some in the next couple weeks. I plan on building my Humidor with it.
    W
    O
    W

thats really nice looking wood. With my limited skills, it would be sinful at this time for me to get near that !!!

I now have a goal to achieve.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Simon Dupay View Post
    good walnut is nice but hard to get (if its got no sap then it's knotty and if it's clear it's got lot's of sap)
    You can get it, you've just gotta look for it. A couple weeks ago I bought a 12" x 72" single piece of unsteamed 8/4 stock that is 100% heartwood, and completely clear of knots or any other imperfections. I bought it from a small mill in Missouri. It ended up costing about $9-something a board foot including shipping, if I remember.

wood

my favorite wood is MESQUITE then CHERRY .

The kind with grain! That leaves out the obvious MDF and particle board. Domestic, I love maple and walnut, can't afford cherry. Exotic I like Purple heart, Yellowheart, Bloodwood, Ebony and on and on and on.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I love mahogany

andy Needles Guest

California walnut

They are tearing out lots of walnut around here to put in vineyards, and I get it milled- its fun to the the process from tree to wood. It is highly variable in grain, and it works well- it has my vote!

I love walnut. I love the color, the smell, the look of the finished product.

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Black Limba. Carves and sands like a dream. Also as exotic a look as you'll find - very attractive.

Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

My favorite is usually the one I"m working with. Paduak is high on my list of "pizazz" woods, but I sure wouldn't want to see an entire large piece made from it. I sure like the grain of red elm, but it's kind of a pain to work with. I love QSWO and curly maple, though CM is pretty hard stuff. Some ash is gorgeous and works very nicely. Mahogany is great to work with too, and I love the chatoyance. I like walnut up close and personal, but from a distance it just looks dark to me. Cherry is ok but it doesn't "move" me much. Red oak is WAY too common IMO, but I enjoyed using it...

I've never used cocobolo, bubinga, mesquite, or zebrawood, but would love to try it someday...Variety is indeed the spice of wwing life!
    Last edited by scott spencer; 01-26-2008 at 10:20 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Has to be mesquite.

My favorite exotic has to be bubinga. I love the range of variety from very straight grain to incredibly figured.

-Roger

Cherry, Maple, and Walnut are the mainstays. I just used Sapele and really like the results and the way it works/machines, but not so fond of the splinters. I'll use it again though. Ash is OK, but very difficult when the grain changes direction. Can't stand Red Oak ... Chris, I've actually rejected free Red Oak . I'll have to try White Oak, I've rejected it also but may need to reconsider based on what I've read lately.
    Jay St. Peter

I will join the crew for Mesquite, a true southern pecan, then cherry, walnut.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Walnut is my all time favorite, but I am apparently one of those that is affected adversly from the dust. It gives me flu like symptoms which have lessened over the years. Oak is a close second, then Maple.