Thread: Re-use of Glaser Handle

Re-use of Glaser Handle

Several Years back, a son-in-law was sent out to buy me a Christmas Present -- Came up with a 1/2" Glaser Bowl Gouge -- the one with the red shot-loaded handle. Have used it a lot and now we are at the point of riding up on the flute cavity. I have a Hamlet 2060 I'd like to unhandle and put in the Glaser. I've heard you can heat it (not the tool shaft and it will come loose so the new tool can be epoxied in. Comments please.

thompsonlathetools.com
    makes replacement blades for original Jerry Glaser gouges. You have to let him about the tool is for that purpose when you place the order. The tools he makes are identical steel and heat treatment as the red handle Glaser.
    Gordon

Solves the problem??

If not, you can heat the handle gently and loosen the epoxy, or CA. Just don't heat the man made materials with direct application of heat. Since the tool is worn out, heat it.
    Bob

Will,
    The first thing you need to do is measure the diameter of the Hamlet 2060, Jerry's steel is .015 oversize. The replacement steel has to measure .515 or it won't fit the handle.

To replace the steel in Jerry's aluminum handle place the handle in a wood vise with the tool pointing up, remember the handle is filled with lead shot and it's a mess to sweep up. Now heat the area with a propane torch to soften the epoxy that holds the steel in, this will take about 4-5 min's. With channel locks or vise grips grab on to the steel (it's hot as a firecracker) and first try to twist the steel in the handle. When it starts to move keep heating it for another min. or so then it should pull right out. Don't force it. Now let it cool and epoxy the new tool in place.

Glaser Handle

Thanks all. If it can be done (sizing)It will be.

Will Hunt