Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JigSaw Questions and Recomendations???

Checked my saw, I got the 1587 AVSP, 5A model. Seems they still sell it. I paid $87 dollars bundled with a free palm sander when they had just released the 1590. 1587 is a nice tool if still available, its a little cheaper and lighter than the 1590 but handles most tasks well. I have even used it on scaffolding freehand to trim cedar shakes, and in that case lighter is definetly better.

I remember using the 1590 at work to rough out some inside and outside radius corners on a set of 3" thick L-shaped mahogony counter tops that couldn't really go through the bandsaw. That thing has some real power. Its like a mini-sawzall! And IMHO bosch got the quick blade change right, as did PC.

I stopped buying Dewalt when they stopped making RAS! (except the 735 planer, IMHO they got that right too.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Gauger View Post
    That's funny, cause I'm on SMC almost everyday and often throughout the day. Even searched for jigsaw and jig saw to no avail. I wonder why it didn't pop up for me. Any way, great advice. Looks to be the Basch with blade gaurd as the one to get.
    The search failure is not your fault Travis. vBulletin should just remove their search engine, it is that poor. Use the Google search option on the forum.

Now to your question . . . save yourself the struggle of decision making and opinion rendering to find that holy grail. Get a Bosch 1590VS or 1591VS depending on whether you like barrel or top grip and be happy forever. Do not get an 'almost 159X' get the real thing. The blade guide mechanism makes all the difference in your cuts in thick material.

I have a barrel and prefer it, my dad prefers a top handle. The only decision you are left with is which you prefer. Except for a stronger chip blower, I cannot think of anything more you could want out of a jigsaw that the Bosch does not provide.

JMHO of course ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-28-2008 at 10:54 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glen...If by 'almost 1590' you mean the 1587 then I'd say your almost wrong. Having used both I feel they are both ligitamate quality tools of the same breed. Which one you buy depends on what your using it for. The 1587 has the blade guide and every other feature of the 1590 except the quick blade change. The 1587 uses a toolless system that works but is somewhat annoying. The price difference is now close enough to be negligable.

Where they differ is weight an power...1587 weighs 5#at 5A, the 1590 weighs 11.7# at 6.4A...almost twice as heavy! In cases where you actually use and need that power and weight it is critical, other wise its just a virtual barbell.

I guess in a bandsawless environment where the jig saw is top dog or if curves in very thick heavy work pieces are needed the choice is obvious. I actually prefer the lighter model for most of the work I do in my own shop, and when working outside the shop making verticle cuts, that extra 5# gets heavy quick.

Come to think of it I really wish I had them both!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Glen...If by 'almost 1590' you mean the 1587 then I'd say your almost wrong. Having used both I feel they are both ligitamate quality tools of the same breed. Which one you buy depends on what your using it for. The 1587 has the blade guide and every other feature of the 1590 except the quick blade change. The 1587 uses a toolless system that works but is somewhat annoying. The price difference is now close enough to be negligable.

Where they differ is weight an power...1587 weighs 5#at 5A, the 1590 weighs 11.7# at 6.4A...almost twice as heavy! In cases where you actually use and need that power and weight it is critical, other wise its just a virtual barbell.

I guess in a bandsawless environment where the jig saw is top dog or if curves in very thick heavy work pieces are needed the choice is obvious. I actually prefer the lighter model for most of the work I do in my own shop, and when working outside the shop making verticle cuts, that extra 5# gets heavy quick.

Come to think of it I really wish I had them both!
    Sorry Peter. Didn't mean to come off so strong. My dad has the 1587 and we both have problems with it tracking in thick stock but, it is a lighter machine and rightly so. The weight and guide on the 159X surely helps with stability but I should have asked Travis how he mostly planned to use the saw.

I would not want to lay on my back under a counter and work with the 159X or guide it up a vertical surface for any length of time. When gravity is working with you, as in flat cuts, they are a joy to use. I enjoy being able to run the saw really slow and just sneak my way through a complex cut in thick stock.

I am in agreement about lightest tool for the job. All my cordless drills are 9.6v for just that reason. Sorry if I was over the top Travis. Think about how you will use the saw and judge from there.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-28-2008 at 4:34 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler