Thread: Anyone with a grizzly G9860ZX 12" jointer

Anyone with a grizzly G9860ZX 12" jointer

I need to know how much space this takes up in use. The fence on my current jointer sticks out when moved to provide maximum jointing width so I can't place it against a wall. Is the 9860zx like this and if so how much space does it really take up vs. its published footprint?

I am not sure about the 9860 specifically but I have a 12" Grizzly Professional jointer. I have been around a zillion other big jointers and I can say that all of them take up space where the fence sticks out. It is just the nature of the beast.

My solution was to stick mine on an inside corner of the shop where the wall made a jig-jag. The fence sits back where the wall zigs. That way the infeed part of the jointer is pretty much against the wall and the outfeed sticks out into space in the shop.

The only way to make a big jointer stick against a wall nicely is to put a hole in the wall for the fence guide to protrude into. Seeing that I have cinderblock walls, that option is not available to me, and that is pretty much the case for all shops. Someone needs to invent better jointer fence supports.

Jim,
    I have the G9860ZX 12" jointer . It's published foot print should be accurate. The fence does not go much further back than the start/stop tower. Its a great jointer BTW
    Randy
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.