Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kapex is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Vincent View Post
    Cool. First question that comes to my mind is how well does the dust collection work? Do you still get much saw dust sprayed behind the saw?
    When the workpiece is large, the dust collection works remarkably well (as "magically" well as, for example, the Rotex sanders). For smaller lumber, however, there's simply too much distance between the DC port and the business end of the blade to collect the majority of the dust. I've been using it with the CT33, although thinking about hooking it into the main DC system in the shop to generate more air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Vincent View Post
    ...I hope that perhaps their innovations will lead to future improvements in the more brands of tools. The more options woodworkers have, the better IMO.
    There are two competitors that have recently come out with a plunge circular saw, supposed to be available in the USA soon. The saws look remarkably like the Festool saw. I think that is clear evidence that the future is already here.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I've seen two kinds of people, those who spend on what they believe in and those who save and save so someone else can spend on what they believe in.

I wouldn't trade the Festools that I have but after this year (before April 1st) It's doubtful that I'll be adding many more .

But hey, It's my "Mid-Life " go get you own.

Tom

Tom, great post. Enjoy the new tools. I do not own any Festool YET, but boy they sure are nice. I have my own tool vices though and sure do understand your post. I look at it like I would rather pay for them now rather than after I retire (have a day job). I have wayyy to many years until that happens so at least I can enjoy them until I do so. Also, having experienced a FIL and my mom both passing shortly after retirement I REALLy do not want to wait until then.

Festool items are awesome. In my big stationary tools I have some of the best I can buy. I consider Festool to be some of the best portable tools available. Once the other big tools are upgraded (dare I a say I am about done with that) and ductwork is purchased and installed (may be one of the bigger expenses), I may save up for the Domino. Really would like one of those.

Peter, I would love to see pics of the Kapex in your shop!!
    A couple questions:
    Does it work with Miter Saw stands? Can you show the mounting holes.
    Also how much does it weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    I don't personally begrudge Festool for what they charge for their tools. They are of high quality, well engineered, and built with the professional in mind. Alan
    Most professional job sites I've seen sport those 'yellow' tools. And, it make sense because you need to factor in tool price vs wage, jobsite damage and theft.

As far as custom woodworking and cabinetry shops, the ones that I've seen use stationary machinery for most all operations. These shops are almost all gone in my area too.

That leave me. An overweight, middle aged, desk jockey with some disposable income.

-Jeff

I didn't realize it was a 10" (would that be a 254mm or 255mm spec?) at first--that would be a no-go right there for me. I've actually used my DW708 to its fullest capacity a few times, both in height and width (not both at the same time, though--don't have any 6x12s to cut).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Anybody have a link? Must have been living in the backwaters of Nebraska, I have no idea what you all are talking about.

The 10" blade will deflect less than a larger blade of the same thickness. Therefore it will cut more accurately.
    The 12" would need a much thicker blade and a motor like a RAS to achieve the accuracy that Festool is looking for.
    Then it would cost as much as an Omga CMS and be about as heavy (200 lb +).

Regards,
    Phil

Jeffrey wrote "Most professional job sites I've seen sport those 'yellow' tools. And, it make sense because you need to factor in tool price vs wage, jobsite damage and theft."
    Jeffrey it really depends on the job site. I am a professional Inspector and I spend many hours a day on the job site. If it is a tract builder sure I see plenty of yellow tools. Which I also own several of and they work very well for intended purpose. But I also inspect many "High End Homes" which I see those better trim carpenters with Hilti, Festool, Metabo, etc. These are the true craftsmen that build site built cabinets more detailed trim packages and actually know how to cope a joint. They are not just putting down quarter round and one piece base and door casings. But you also have to remember these guys are not building and installing this stuff for fifty cents a foot either like the tract builder pays. It is true there are different levels of "Professional" in all businesses.

Well, that leaves me I am not overweight or a desk jockey but I am middle aged and balding wishing that I had more disposable income.

Good Luck

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I didn't realize it was a 10" (would that be a 254mm or 255mm spec?) at first--that would be a no-go right there for me. I've actually used my DW708 to its fullest capacity a few times, both in height and width (not both at the same time, though--don't have any 6x12s to cut).
    Jason,

Check the link to Gary Katz's review I posted earlier in this thread. I initially thought the same as you but the saw in its extended position actually cuts BEHIND the arbor so that you can use more of the blade than the classic limit of sawblade radius minus arbor radius plus a skosh.

You can also depth cut and thus cut dadoes with this CMS.

Still, even for a hard-core F junkie like myself, $1300 bones is A LOT to swallow and I'm sure I'd want all the extra gizmos that go with it so the price will go higher to reach "good cabinet TS" area!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Kapex Photos

You can see here the Kapex from a couple of different angles. If you'd like closeups of any of the parts please just let me know. Also pictured is the transformer I'm using.... perhaps a bit overkill but I wanted to be safe.

I should add that we haven't had a chance to build a table for it, so it's somewhat temporarily sitting on the MFT.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Quote Originally Posted by Eric Haycraft View Post
    Payback usually comes from less downtime, less setup time and other efficiency improvements. Let's say that the features of product X over product Y allow the user to save 15 minutes of time every day. That would be around $5 saved every day..so the tool could save 1000 bucks a year for that worker. Anything that allows you to work faster with the same level of quality will typically be worth a premium.
    Does the kopex fit that category?.. maybe. I don't know.
    If the dust collection were good enough that a flooring guy could run the saw in the clients' living room instead of having to carry pieces out to the garage to cut them, I could see it paying for itself.
    In my own remodels, I spent a lot of time going up and down stairs to cut trim/tile, to avoid having the kids exposed to wood dust and make a mess.

accuracy

festool is known for quality and accuracy.it appears to me that the hobbyists like myself are more into festool,dowelmax,jessem etc.i live in a small town and know 4-5 custom builders.i see the work on the job including trim work,cabinets,custom stairs bookcases,rails.they do not have any fancy tools-they are not calibrating their table saws with calipers and fancy devices.they are not using staret squares,any type of calibers.everything they make is certainly better than me.all this stuff wasnt around even ten years ago and many builders or craftsmen look at it as fluff.

At the end of the promo video it shows a variable speed feature. What would be the main benefit of this? Isn't that like having a variable speed tablesaw?

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    OOOOOOOO AHHHHHHH!
    And me on a fixed income
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/