Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I still say, YA GOTTA LOVE THAT DAVID MARKS!

I think I'm at about 50/50 relative to liking the overall design of the pieces he makes on the show. Many of them are just not my taste. But I am 100% enthusiastic about every episode (and I have seen them all at least twice). Having seen the work in his portfolio on the DJ Marks web site I'd guess the stuff on the show is actually dumbed down for the audience! He's clearly an accomplished artist in the field.

After watching the entire series and using so many techniques daily that I learned from his show I desperately wish they would release the whole thing on DVD. His coverage of design theory and practice, the use of templates and ability to accomplish joinery and shaping with a variety of methods sets Woodworks apart from any series I've seen. Its a fairly complete intermediate level education in wood working. That one show opened my eyes to a world of possibilities and periodically reviewing it never ceases to renew my motivation and invigorate my personal creativity.

Next time you see him can you encourage him to teach a class in the North Eastern US area?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    David also has two DVD's available on his Web Site: www.djmarks.com. One is about patina and the other is about inlay.

Although one is about patina (which doens't interest me, but may interest some), the other is titled "Jigs & Fixtures for Curvilinear Woodworking"
    and is about building a glass-topped table -- of all of David's beautiful work, this table is perhaps my favorite.

I just got the DIY network about a week ago and am looking forward to seeing all of the woodworks episodes that I can. If you like David you should check out Marc Spagnuola's video pod cast, The Wood Whisperer.

Jason
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Different is good

I've often thought David Marks is probably the most "skilled woodworker" on TV/CABLE today. Don't get me wrong, I like Norm's show as much as anyone, but the projects created by Norm are so different to the ones created by David Marks. I heard Norm say in interviews most projects in the NYW take one day maybe two to finish, that said some of the complex projects taken on by David Marks, it takes more than a day to resaw, sand, laminate the lumber and get it ready to cut to finished size. They are two very different woodworkers.Different is good.

Peter nice picture! See that was what I was talking about in above post. In the show he makes a hall table with coopered legs...really cool techique, the finished product was a bit shy of complete in my mind. This piece is stunning but it would take 4 episodes to work through this piece and DIY doesn't do that. They are generally set up for people with a 9 minute maximum attention span. Thanks for posting that picture. Beautiful.

Love his shows and would like to see him in person.

My question is how do you get such a beautiful daughter interested in woodworking. You are one lucky man indeed.
    Last edited by Jim Dunn; 03-08-2008 at 4:00 PM.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Nice story about David Marks.. He sounds like a class guy. That's what really matters in life.
    Interesting to see his tattoo - now I know why he always wears long-sleeve shirts on Woodworks.. haha..

That's a great story. It matches everything that my wife and I experienced when we met David about 3-4 years ago. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    Translation: he's not just there for the money. The man is really compassionate about teaching.
    Did he happen to mention why a man who is passionate about teaching would lie to his viewers for years about what he uses to finish his projects?

To the poster from Appleton Wi. : Maybe tonight you could ask him that question.

Gary,
    I am the one who made the post you quoted from the other forum. What I am talking about is calling Seal-a-Cell and Arm-R-Seal, tung oil. When they are in fact wiping varnish and oil/varnish mix. I have personally had to help out fans of the show who were trying to duplicate his finishes by using 100% pure tung oil and failing miserably, by telling them what it is he actually uses. It is a very easy finish to use if you know what it is. If you try to use tung oil the way he finishes his work you are going to be in for a long and frustrating process that will end with a less than desirable finish.

Rob

Agree

David I tend to agree with you on this subject:
    If someone doesn't like a project that he built, that's their right. If his style is not their taste, that's their right also. But to make petty complaints about this project or that project or that he doesn't do this right or that right, really have no merit.
    What I get from these programs/people; David et al, is perhaps not a project I would like to build, or even enjoy the style. I get a sense and direction of "new, maybe better" ways to accomplish a woodworking task. Even though he and his brethern do not necessarily give out tips & tricks, I can see instances in a project that would work equally well, or much better in one I am doing/contemplating. Those, I feel that turn a blind eye to this are missing out on the big picture. I am considered a "Jack of all trades" by my friends/neighbors, as my phone attests to, but at 57 I am constantly on the lookout for new and better ways to accomplish something. One thing I have always enjoyed in life is learning. To me it is immensely enjoyable to see the proverbial lightbulb come on While I do not always, and sometimes never enjoy the project he and his cohorts construct, I always have an eye open to how it is accomplished so I can hopefully put it to use constructing my projects.
    Jim

I'm trying hard, but I just can't follow what the big deal is here.

First, doing a show for DIY isn't like being in the cast of "Friends". David Marks was paid a nominal fee for the Wood Works show and to do so he signed a contract. The contract stipulated he did what the producers wanted. Doing what the producers want isn't "selling out". It's doing your job and not getting sued. Saying he did anything "for the money" sounds kinda silly considering how little Scripps Publishing pays. (Scripps owns Food Network, HGTV and DIY.) FYI, although David Marks certainly got his name out there through the show, he doesn't own or control any part of Wood Works. He makes nothing from the reruns or anything else affiliated with it.

Second, I really don't see any controversy over the finishes David used for the show. On Wood Works, he used a General Finishes product which is no longer manufactured. Since they weren't a sponsor of the show, he couldn't name it. This is no different than Norm taping over the brand names on his tools. That's television. Whatever the formula, it did contain tung oil. Thus, if on one episode he just called it, "tung oil" so what? In other episodes he does say it was a combination of tung oil and other things. I'm pretty sure the details are described on Davids' web site.

As everyone who has met David Marks will confirm, he's a great woodworker and a great guy who by no means deserves to be accused of selling out. To say you don't like his designs is fine. To call him names and insult his credibility simply isn't justified and I for one would rather not see such comments on SMC; even if they were originally posted elsewhere.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-11-2008 at 7:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Are you talking about a Woodworks "repeat" that is going to air tonite?
    Gary

David is at the Appleton Woodcraft location today and tomorrow.

who? .....

I was referring to that statement which you posted from another forum, Gary. I'm not going to war and I'm not angry about it. I just feel compelled to call that out and say I don't think it's right.

I really like SMC. I especially like that the overall tone of the forum is positive, helpful and sometimes downright funny. I recently recommended a woodworking friend to SMC and we are both contributors because we want to support the forum. I hope we can avoid writing such things here.

This is a great thread where folks are sharing their admiration and respect for a fellow woodworker. That's the kind of thread I like to see.

That's all.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-11-2008 at 7:55 AM.