Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you cut truly square largish sheet stock?

Sqaure is overrated...just go with the flow. Wood is a natural product although plywood is not....

You want square: 3-4-5 triangle multiplied or divided as you deem fit. Take the time to make a reference and you'll be squaring up your stock faster next time.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    Oh just a little something something he threw together...
    Ooops. Sorry Dino! I've been through the EZ forum and visited your site. Filling my piggy bank as we speak - looks like a great system you've put together! Hope to be able to do business with you soon.

Thanks Randy and Randal!

-Roger

3. Throw it on my slider.
    Dead on every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Sqaure is overrated...just go with the flow. Wood is a natural product although plywood is not....

You want square: 3-4-5 triangle multiplied or divided as you deem fit. Take the time to make a reference and you'll be squaring up your stock faster next time.
    3-4-5. Dont trust drywall t-squares from the borgs or anywhere else. I went through at least 2 dozen of them at 3 stores before I found one square!

As for cutting I have a piece of angle that is straight that I clamp and use with my circular saw. I am in the market for a vertical panel saw and found one. But money became an issue.
    Last edited by Ben Cadotte; 03-07-2008 at 2:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post

You got it. Good ol' Pythagorian Theorem, C squared = A squared + B squared. I use the 1, 1, square root of two triangle.

Say you need a 36" square back for a cabinet. Draw two parallel lines 36" apart. On the bottom line mark 36" length from point A to point B. Now the square root of 2 is 1.414, so 1.414 times 36" is 50.9", so measure out 50.9" from point A to the other parallel line you drew and the point of intersection on that other line call it point C. Drop a line from point C to point B on the first line and you got yourself one very accurate square corner. You can extend any of those lines for the height of the cabinet back you need. After that it's just a matter of using your tablesaw rip fence to cut lines parallel. Try it on a piece of paper so you are sure it works for you. THis method is very accurate and one you can visualize what you need to do, it is very quick. You can even make yourself a very large square from plexiglas for layout use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cadotte View Post
    3-4-5. Dont trust drywall t-squares from the borgs or anywhere else. I went through at least 2 dozen of them at 3 stores before I found one square!
    Drywall is one thing that DOES NOT need to be square!! Hence the reason drywall squares, which only us non-pro homeowners use, are not square.

Keep in mind that 3-4-5 are ratios and can be of any unit you choose. For example, cut yourself 12 sticks of any length (but all must be the same length) and fashion a clever way to attach 3, 4, and 5 sticks together and you'll have yourself a perfect right-triangle. The devil is in the details but maybe this fires off a couple synapses for ya!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I made a bunch of cabinets last weekend. The 4x8 sheets go off the truck onto a few 2x4's on the driveway and get one cut across at a suitable dimension to make them easier to handle. Then into the shop and all rip cuts are done on the tablesaw. The front edge is banded and then they are ripped to final width. The back edge is rabbeted with a rabbeting bit in a router. Then the cross cuts are done using the Jessem Mast-R-Slide on the tablesaw. All panels are now to size and square ready for assembly.

I use these saw horses--works great. I put a 4x8 sheet of old ply on top, then a 4x8 sheet of rigid foam insulation. The sheet I want to cut then goes on top of that and I use the Festool system. This all knocks down and takes up very little space in my garage when I'm done.

You are welcome to zip over to my place and check out the setup some time. I am probably 30-40 min from you. PM or email me if interested.

--Rob

10. Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Striebig Mmmmmmmmmmm