Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a router table fence

Kudos for BenchDog and Woodhaven (and probably Woodpeckers) fences

The BenchDog fence also has a very nice vertical extension for those times you want a taller fence. I don't use it often, but when I do, it always re-mounts straight and flush.

I have the Incra Jig Ultra, but it's slow/cumbersome to use and not quite as rigid, though it's nice for precise indexing (e.g., for parallel flutes, etc.) and returning exactly to previous settings.

After seven years, I recently replace the BenchDog fence with the Woodhaven fence for more versatility in attaching after-market accessories (pivot, pivot stop, micro-adjust, various clamping styles, longer fence, etc), which I've taken advantage of much more than I ever expected. The Woodhaven is made of multi-slot T-track extrusion, much like the Woodpeckers Super Fence.

Caveats:
    -- BenchDog: the end-clamps can pivot slightly, allowing the fence to slip back a hair if you don't take out the backlash in advance.

-- Woohaven (and probably Woodpeckers), chips escape dust collection through the T-track slots. I've filled the slot ends by the router bit to prevent this.

microadjust

i love microadjust on a router table fence.even when using a bearing bit i use the microadjust to get the bearing just right on the straightedge.jointech,incra and pat warner have microadjust.pat warners fence is a beautiful piece of workmanship.i have a jointech fence.kreg fence is more of a rudimentary microadjust.a super tall fence is not as important to me.when doing vertical work i really need to raise the fence more than 4-5 inches so i attach an extension to the top of my fence.

The panel-loc accessory for the BD is also pretty darned slick.

www.routertabledepot.com/fencekits.html I Just bought a router table from this place and I think its top quality...
    Measure twice and cut once and swear three times

Pat,

I just finished a fence inspired by your book and the article in FWW. I'm afraid I don't get the new design. The plexiglass (lexan?) looks like a guard. The fence doesn't look like it has much working surface. Is it easier to make square? Please enlight us on the thinking behind the new design.

Best Regards,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups View Post
    Larry, I like the JessEm and think that's the way I'm going to go. Our local woodworking store carries the Rockler version so I think I'll check it out before buying. The item I didn't mention earlier that concerned me about alot of the fences is the requirement for a t-slot in the table top. When I laminated the MDF to make my top I drove screws in from the bottom to act as clamps while the glue dried. I then laminated both sides of the top with formica so I have no idea where the screws are located and worry about trying to route a slot. The JessEm attachment method means I won't have to worry about those screws.

Thanks,
    Wes Billups
    That is what I really like about the JessEm is the way it mounts and the fact its built like a tank. There is only one small, I mean really small thing I don't like and that is the jointer shims, but then I have a jointer and have only used them 2 times.
    I did make a micro adjuster for it that really works great.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/micro_adjuster

PB113003.jpg

Let me throw another vote out for the benchdog.
    Solid, reliable, locks without any channels, or slots - uses the top itself as a clamping surface.
    If you have a Woodcraft near you, go check them out. I believe that Rockler bought out benchdog, so Woodcraft will no longer carry - so most places are remaindering the stock.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Mr Tessier.
    New fence does have a curtain face. Expose just enough cutter to do the work.
    No cutter pocket for the work to get lost in, no possibility of kickback, very difficult to get fingers in jeopardy. A continuous unbroken, uninterrupted pathway for the work. A safety fence.

Pat Warner Fence

Pat,

Is this design a full substitution for the previous design? Can you edge joint with it?

Could I acheive the same thing by clamping a piece of Lexan to the older design?

Best Regards,
    Mike

Not for full thickness cuts.

I recently purchased the Woodpecker's Superfence. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but am impressed with the construction and features. I picked it up for $119 using their e-club discount (standard price is $169).

-Dave

Sommerfeld's is hard to beat

A full table, and a fence that allows installing as many jigs as one would want: http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SORS

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

square.

some fences have no way to square the fence to the tabletop.to me this is important if you are running tall boards against your fence.dont count on your fence face being automaticly square to table surface

14. Jointech has a 32" Fence for only $129.00 on their website.
    http://www.jointech.com/dovetailfence.htm

RJ

I was about to ask the same question myself.
    Thanks for the "leg work".
    Is anyone familiar with the Rousseau 3301 Router Table Fence ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005A1JJ

My budget is not as high.........

Thanks