Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this saw?

This thread has been running around in my mind ever since it appeared. I had never heard of the term joiners saw until Jr. mentioned it above, and I love the research aspect of this neander woodworking stuff. I have an 18 inch saw as I mentioned previous filed rip cut which apparently is what is often found with these little guys.

On another site, I found a discussion of this type of saw and it seems that no one knows for sure other than speculation what these saws were used for. One person there made the point, rightly so I think, that we have probably forgotten more of the old techniques than we could ever know.

He speculated the joiner saw could possibly have been used for starting tenons, and other stuff like that, since so many are found filed rip.

Now before I read that article this morning I had been out in the shop, it was warm enough for doing the stuff that makes you sweat, and I was rip sawing a number of pieces of pine for a project I am doing. I was having issues with the really agressive saw starting a cut, and at the end with it breaking off unevenly. I solved this (probably re-inventing the wheel ) by taking the little rip cut guy and cutting in from each end about two inches. It cuts easy though a tad slow, and that gave me much better starts and finishing.

I don't know maybe that was one reason they were around. I have since this thread started, also noted that in the Landis Workbench book there is a print near the beginning, of an early 19th century cabinet shop. The guys there are using Nicholson style benches, and it is a rural shop by the looks of it. There are three panel saws showing one being used for ripping, one hanging on the wall the same size and presumably cross cut, and beside that one on the wall is another little saw, looks to be either 18 or maybe 20 inches.

So based on that and the number of them that turn up, (I have the 18 and two crosscut 20 inch) there must have been some specific use for these saws, they are not I don't think historic anomolys.

So now I an wracking my brain, such as it is, trying to figure how these smaller panel saws were used. Maybe for finer work with thinner stock perhaps. Anyone care to speculate?
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

I believe what you have there is known as a table saw, believe it or not.... Gary at toolemera press has been going on about them lately:

http://toolemerablog.typepad.com/too...saw-conun.html

HTH
    Leif

Bingo! Thanks Leif, I believe you've nailed it! Mine has a nib though, and the catalog shows no nib. Some of the other table or pruning saws do though, so I'm going with this. Exact handle, assuming the shorter ones only had two screws, and available in the dimensions of my saw!
    Attached Images Attached Images