Thread: Big Banners

Big Banners

I've mentioned before the 5' x 25' 2-sided banners that I make for going over the main road here in our city. This time the one I just made (right) and one I made 2-3 years ago are both up at the same time. Unfortunately there's no place to stop safely and get out for a good picture, I had to be quick so it's not that great but you get the idea. They are hung by 1/4" wire rope running through the banners top and bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Man, that's a big banner Joe! Nice looking work. I bet hanging it was fun as well with the traffic! I hope you got hazardous duty pay for it
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

No, they wouldn't let me hang it. The city requires that it be done by their staff, and charge people $180 for that. There's a long list of requirements these have to meet, but actually rarely do (like letter sizes). Their initial
    version was impossible to meet. I worked with them to change it so it was more realistic, but it's still hard for the designs requested by the groups ordering them. So far only one has been destroyed when it was left up during a windstorm.

Here's their requirements/permit form:

http://www.ci.sammamish.wa.us/files/document/2901.pdf

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Vents?

Did they have wind vents cut in the banner? Seems like a big sail without them...?
    Brent Vander Weil
    Epilog 35W Mini
    Graphtec CE5000-60

Yes, I cut in many wind vents. Supposedly this construction and hanging method can withstand 80 mph winds but I wouldn't like to be nearby if it gets tested. I think it would bend the steel poles.

Sammamish, WA

Yep

I agree dosen't look that substatial for the vantage point of the photo, but I am not sure I would want to be near about any sign at 80MPH. LOL
    Brent Vander Weil
    Epilog 35W Mini
    Graphtec CE5000-60

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Yes, I cut in many wind vents. Supposedly this construction and hanging method can withstand 80 mph winds but I wouldn't like to be nearby if it gets tested. I think it would bend the steel poles.
    I make the same type of banners...and out town charges us $240.