Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Injury, careful out there!

Dale glad you weren't hurt any worse. I hope and pray it will take then heal quickly. When my brother took 1 1/2 fingers off with a bandsaw a few years ago it was a wake up call for me. If I got things on my mind other than woodworking I just don't go to the shop. I have caught myself thinking of other things instead of paying attention to the machine I was working with.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

sorry to hear about you pinky. I, a few weeks ago, kind of did the same thing. I touch the bandsaw blade with the end of my middle finger of my left hand. all healed now but I keep bumping it and boy, does it smart.

heal fast, heal well.

Laurie

Unhappy

Dale - Sorry to hear about your accident. my prayers are with you for a speedy and full recovery. Thanks for sharing it...

Thanks for the reality check. I know many often downplay the danger involved when using a band saw. Any moving blade or sharp tool can get us at any time. I'll pray for your healing.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reminder Dale, sorry it happened to you but appreciate you reminding us to keep our awares in check. Praying for your speedy and complete recovery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Thanks for the post. I work in a profession where the vast majority of lessons are taught the hard way, with blood, so to speak.

If you save one person from your experience your mission has been accomplished.

Believe me, the more familiar with something you are the more dangerous is becomes. Plus there is the little fact that sometimes you can do everything right and still get hurt. There are very few guarantees in this life.

Hoping for a full recovery.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Dale, I hope your finger heals and is once again a useful member of your hand. It will possibly take some time.

Twenty years ago, I lost two fingers on a drill rig accident. Lucky it wasn't the whole hand. Now I work with tools just as I do my Law Enforcement job. On yellow and red alert around anything that is sharp, moves or could crush. Keep those eyes open and those brains clicking to avoid an accident.

Good Luck Dale!

I always hate to hear these stories when they happen to someone I know, well, internet friendship anyway. I hope you have a speedy recovery and hope the doc did a first class job on gluing you back together. The positive note is it could've been much worse. Our prayers are with you.

Dale,

Sorry to hear about your accident. My father worked in a tool and die shop for thirty plus years, never an incident, couple of years ago the bandsaw on his ShopSmith bite him. Per my mom he came upstairs holding said finger with a confused look on his face, didn't know how it happened.
    So far I have not had a serious incident, one kick back that left a hole in the shop wall, did not fix it on purpose, always view it upon entering and leaving the shop.

Heather

Thanks for all the well wishes. Keeping my other fingers crossed that the pinky survives. I debated back and forth whether to post it or not, and now I'm glad I did. I hope it makes everyone think a little more about the inherent dangers of our equipment. I for one, was getting to comfortable. Have fun, but keep safety in mind! I'll be back at it in a few months.

Dale
    Jet1642-2hp (Mayo Lite)

So sorry Dale. Hope you have a full recovery and are back in the woodworking saddle soon. Thanks for the safety reminder.

I couldn't help but cringe when I read your account. I've always been vary wary of my bandsaw, so much so that I built an auxiallary guard for it. It works very well. Here's are front and back pics:

Bandsaw guard on MM16 front view sm.jpg Bandsaw guard on MM16 rear view 20.jpg

It needs to be easily removable, as it constrains resaw height.

I expect the design is easily adaptable for other saws. Here are the dimensions I used for my Minimax MM16:

Bandsaw guard on MM16 sm.jpg

Cary

Heal fast!

I play sax, and two tears ago s0ld my table saw to preserve my fingers. I will be more careful around the bandsaw because of your accident. I know how valuable tose digits are.
    Bob

Dale, hope it heals 100% and quickly. Thanks for the reminder
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Sorry to hear about that - Heal up soon - you have two of my favorits pastimes - guitar and woodworking... can't let one ruin the other...
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!