Thread: Another Domino question

Another Domino question

Has anyone been disappointed with the tool. What would be the limitations of the tool. I make on occasion interior- exterior doors and in the past used a mortising machine. I know on the real heavy doors I won't be able to use it. Are there other things that you thought that it would work for and didn't. If I'm going to get one I want to before they go up.

Jay, I've not heard of them not being usable on heavy constructions. One would just use mutliple dominoes per joint.

The main limitation of the tool is the initial cost.

I didn't find going from a biscuit joiner to a Domino much of a stretch. They work pretty much the same, with the Domino having a several more adjustments to accommodate the various sizes of loose tenons.

One minor limitation is the need to order extra tenons ahead, rather than just swing down to Home Depot for biscuits. In a pinch, I suppose I could shop make Domino tenons but I don't think that would be an economical use of my time.

In my case I bought a Domino setup not because I needed one, or for any business reason, but just because I wanted one. They are definitely "cool".

What has happened since I bought it is I have found more and more applications for it. I am starting on a new set of kitchen cabinets and may end up making Domino drawers rather than the half-blind dovetail drawers.

Don't know, just yet.

New to me this past week. I have used it on two small and one larger project . Great tool , if it has anything not too like to me it would have to be the metric scale but I got a dedicated rule for that.

Tom

Blog Entries
    I love mine. The only issue is that it doesn't make a shallow enough plunge to make a blind mortise in 1/2" birch ply. All I did was add a spacer though and it worked fine. It's well worth the money.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

The price is about it but that is true of anything from Festool. You know they are always going to be very expensive but everyone judges that differently.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Jay...there's a lot of critics on this forum, put off by in large by the high cost (and getting higher as of 4/1!). Go to Festool Owners Group and you'll find plenty of raves: http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php

Hello all, I'm new here. In fact this is my first post. I would say that the domino jointer would be an expensive tool if you are just into woodworking as a hobby, but as a contractor or cabinet maker that little tool is a money maker. I can build things for customers in fractions of the time and still charge them the same amount.