Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chisels

John - I do have a set of Hirsch and it did take a lot of work to flattent the backs. But in my continual search for the perfect chisel, I bought a set of LNs and appreciate the way they're made (accurate).

And now, just for fun, I'm in the process of putting together a set of Witherbys (buying one at a time). They seem to be good chisels, also.

To give an indication of the differences, if you put a set of calipers on an LN, it measures exactly what it's suppose to be - a half inch chisel is one half inch. If you measure most older chisels, they're never what they're suppose to be - most are larger by a 32nd or a 64th. Not that it makes any difference in the use.

Congratulations on your LNs. I know you'll enjoy using them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    John -

And now, just for fun, I'm in the process of putting together a set of Witherbys (buying one at a time).

Mike

Let me know if you come across an extra 1/8...need one for the set I'm assembling.

Mark

Mike,
    I have a complete set of Witherbys just got a nice 1 1/4" to finish set and I am very glade I started about 5 years ago as prices have got crazy..

I the old days a woodworker would set his mortice gauge to the chisel so it did not make any difference if it was big or small..

I read in the really old days the plane makers would make the H&R planes to the blades and that way it is so hard to match old sets and make one..

If I had to do it over again I think I would spring for a set of LNs but tomorrow I post a pic of part of my chisel collection and show you how much I need another set