Thread: Any Problems with Spindle Adaptors?

Any Problems with Spindle Adaptors?

I am thinking about getting a spindle adaptor so I can use my Oneway Talon chuck on 2 lathes with different spindle sizes. I noticed in the description in Packards that some slight runout can be experieced. Has anyone had problems with this? I thought a spindle adaptor would be quicker to swap between lathes than the insert adaptor on my chuck, but if it is going to cause problems.....

Your advice is appriceated.

Joel

My experience

Hi Joel,

I did basically what you want to do. I have a Talon with a 1"x8tpi insert for my mini and have an adapter so I can use it on my 1642 with a 1,1/4"x8tpi spindle. There is a small amount of run-out from the adapter but I have not found it to be a big problem. I don't do real precision work and wood moves more than the run-out anyway. I also use the adapter when I put on my old Super Nova with cole jaws because it has a 1"x8tpi insert as well. No bowl I have ever put in the cole jaws is exactly round anyway so I don't find it a problem. If I need to do something with more accuracy I go to my Stronghold with the correct insert. I think my adapter came from Best Wood Tools but I got it from the 'bay. It's pretty massive and sturdy. It does stick out quite a bit from the spindle which in itself can induce some flex causing run-out. I don't see it as much of a problem though. We're turning wood which moves, not metals with high tolerances.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

In the long run, if you have two lathes with different sized spindles, you'll end up with two chucks. For me, a chuck is something that becomes part of the lathe and to have to keep switching adaptors or inserts is a PITA. If you buy an adaptor you'll wish you had another chuck. If you buy another chuck you'll never look back.

I also use an adaptor. No problems here. But that could be the Sunny Southern California weather

Joel
    My advice (it might not be much worth) is that you use the inserts which fits your lathes. It is only a question of few seconds to unscrew the three screws.
    The advantage is that your chuck will fit perfectly the lathe thus avoiding vibrations.
    Then, after a while I'm convinced you will appreciate having two chucks

I have to respectfully disagree with the idea that since wood moves we don't need precision equipment.

I recently returned a tailstock center that had only .004-.005" runout.

Why? because I couldn't get rid of the vibration in my spindle turning until I put my cheap (the OEM center that ships with the Jet mini) center back in. Anything that induces runout is the enemy of turning. When ever you get that kind of runout, you're going to have problems getting a good finish and crisp details.

So yes, I'll take a rigid precision setup over a non-precision floppy set up any day of the week.

Still looking for a good deal on a tailstock center by the way...