Thread: electrical motor key and concrete questions

electrical motor key and concrete questions

I've been keeping my eyes out for some electrical motors lately. I found one the other day and I need to get a key for it. Do 5/8" shafts generally have the same keyway (wondering if a standard size, so I can get a couple spares)?

Picked up a steel wheel to make a grinder/sander stand. My concrete experience is putting in a mailbox, and a LOT of concrete tearout. Any tricks to getting this to stay in the wheel so it doesn't come out the holes? Do I need to let it set up a bit, get a different type of concrete (quickset), etc?

Thanks all

Keys should all be one of a number of standard sizes. They should be available at any decent hardware store or mail order from a number of places.

I'm not sure what you are doing with the concrete. Are you filling both sides with concrete? Either way when doing concrete you will need a form until it sets up, whatever that form may be. Wood is a normal choice for flat work and stairs, etc.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    Keys should all be one of a number of standard sizes. They should be available at any decent hardware store or mail order from a number of places.

I'm not sure what you are doing with the concrete. Are you filling both sides with concrete? Either way when doing concrete you will need a form until it sets up, whatever that form may be. Wood is a normal choice for flat work and stairs, etc.

Joe
    Using an old car wheel as both the form, and place to fill. I don't want both sides full, just to make it easier to weld the pipe on (fill then weld, rather then weld, stand on tube and fill). So fill the top with a piece of plywood then? (outside of wheel is about 1/2" offset).

If you're only filling one side of the wheel with concrete, you could cover the holes with duct tape on the side where you'll be welding on the pipe.

Cover holes.
    Flip wheel over.
    Fill with concrete.
    When dry, flip back over and remove tape.

I'd weld in some section of rebar or something so the concrete has something to grab onto. You could also just bolt some foundation L-bolts into those wheel holes. Otherwise, I'd think the concrete would just fall out when you flip the wheel over.