Thread: So, what strange things are you asked to make?

So, what strange things are you asked to make?

These are a set of beach paddle ball paddle's, made of hard Maple, receiving a second coat of Waterlox. I was asked tp make them this weekend, my only condition... they cannot be painted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Very nice Jim,

Love your songs. I'm liking the paddles but let's also see what came from Festool too.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

odd items

I was asked to make some flag pole stands(8) that would be light, steady and capable of holding a 10' pole, and they have to break down to ship to Hawaii. I am trying to convince them to just buy commercial stands once they get to Hawaii, considering shipping cost that's got to be cheaper!

Perhaps you should just charge such an enormous amount that they would get scared off
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Cool wild thang

Well you know how it is, people know you have a woodworking shop and just assume if I make it it's got to be cheaper I try to explain that if I wanted cheaper I would just sell off my tools and buy things, as it usually winds up costing more after all is said and done But that's not the point in woodworking is it?

Hi Jim

I see you are not getting a lot of answers to your question yet. The most unusual thing I have ever made (that I can remember) is a replica of an ancient Hebrew plow, circa 1000 BC. It was a gift for a rabbi who had a garden done up according to the way things were done around the time of King David. I was given drawings of several plows, any of which would be acceptable, and allowed to pick what I wanted to do from the group. I was given the commission because when I was interviewed, and I asked why no one local to the man could be found, I was told that everyone who was asked wanted to do something highly refined and polished. My response was that I figured they wanted something rough that would most likely have been hand made on the farm. I do not have any pictures, but I made it from a waney edged board, a couple of sticks joined together with wedged mortises, and an iron plowshare. It looked like a sword nailed to a board with a T handle waist high. When I saw the drawing of the plowshare, I gained an immediate understanding of the scripture that talks about beating plowshares into swords and vice versa. It couldn't be painted either.

Nice paddles.

Bill

I have made a few things that were different.
    About 15 years ago the CEO of a rather large co was locked in the elevator for quite a period of time while they were trying to find the emergency key
    I made key boxes for each floor out of walnut. I also made a finger for a statue of the goddess "Diana". Some of the "supine standers" I made were very unusual. These standers were used by therapists to treat children.
    Earl
    Last edited by Earl Reid; 07-05-2004 at 10:58 PM.

Building a Truck to tow a 5th wheel trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Box for ashes

My Grandma asked me to make a walnut box for her ashes. I did and the box awaits it's fateful day.

This wasn't strange, but the size of it was a departure. I make lighthouses and sell them through the paper. One guy called, but he wanted one 6 ft. tall. Just a wee bigger than I'm used to. Shoot, taller than I am. I had to finish it using a step stool.

Plus, he drove over 25 miles to pick it up. I guess if you need something and you can't find it anyplace, it's at least uncommon, if not strange. Sucker was heavy as well.

"Where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise."
    -Thomas Gray-