Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nova 1624-44

Arrow Nova 1624-44

Sometime this summer I am going to invest in a new lathe. Right now I have a bowl/HF lathe that's awesome for those purposes, but is poor for spindle turning. So I am considering the NOVA 1624-44. I like it because of the motor, the swing, the possibility of indefinite length extensions, and the fit and finish. I don't plan on using it for big beefy work. That's reserved for the other lathe. Opinions and observations? Thanks.

Hutch

Matt,
    I have had this lathe for about a year now and am very impressed with it. It has met all my need to date. Changing speeds is a snap. I have a small shop and its footprint suits me well. I think you get a lot of lathe for the money.

I agree with Ken 100%. I love mine

Steve

Cons

I was also wondering about its cons. What are the 1624s weaknesses?

Hutch

Ken,
    I have had my 1624-44 for almost a year and use it a lot. I haven't found any cons that make me regret the purchase. The belt change is like any other similar task; it just takes a little getting used to. I have turned up to a 14" bowl so far and never needed more power or a slower low speed. I originally thought I would need to buy the cast iron legs when Teknatool released them but haven't found a reason to yet.
    Mine is still a 'made in New Zealand' unit so I can't speak for the Chinese-made units but the quality of mine is great.
    HTH,
    Jerry

Hutch,

You already have a big girl for bowls that can take care of heavy blanks that are out of balance? I kind of felt like Jerry that the legs would be a little on the light side. I liked the size options/price but the total weight sent me looking at the heavier jet. Had my eye on the 1642. What happens next was a huge one day sale, a coupon in the mail and another discount because it was a floor model and I end up with the 1442. I'd just make sure a couple hundred bucks later you won't be saying dang I could of had a V8.

Very Big Girl

Yeah, I have a beautiful piece of old iron...10' long. I would only be using the NOVA for spindle work. That would be its dedicated function (along with sphere making). Hollow forms and bowls would be done on the other lathe.

I don't struggle that much with the NOVA's weight. If I get it I would built a massive stand, and load it with ballast. I did that on a real "piece-of-junk" lathe once (my first). It had a bed made of stamped sheet steel (Grizzly)!! But with the ballast it was fine. I figure that the NOVA is 100 times better, and it actually has a decent drive. If I didn't have my other lathe I wouldn't even consider the NOVA...not versatile enough.

Does this make the NOVA an OK purchase?? Thanks.

Hutch

The only negative I can think of with my Nova is that the motor pulley had some slippage problems. Tightening down the set screw had no effect for a while until I used some blue (the reversible) Loctite. Since then, it hasn't moved even though I have a new replacement pulley sitting in my shop. So, the moral of this is align the pulleys correctly (pretty easy), tighten them down and keep checking them every week or so. If there is slippage, use the Loctite. I believe they have re-engineered this pulley and these issues are all but eliminated.

Only other thing I can think of is that it can be awkward to drop the tool handle really low for shear scraping on the outside of bowls because of the profile of the tool rest. I plan on replacing the rest with a Robust soon.

For what you are saying you will use it for...go for it, without reservation.

Steve Kubien
    Ajax, Ontario

What length spindles? The 1624 is only 24 center to center as delivered - one extension takes it to 44 and if you want to do 48 you'll need 2 extensions. I met a fellow that built a long bench for his lathe and just moves his single extension, not attached to the main bed, down the bench for whatever length he needs. Saw him turning 60 inches. Nova now has a hinged mount for the extension so you can swing it (and the tailstock) out of the way if you don't need it.

Question for Steve above - what is the bore of your drive pulley. I was interested in adding a variable speed drive to my 1624 and found a 3 phase motor with control with a 5/8 shaft but the pulley on my lathe is 22mm. To use the drive I'll have to get a pulley with .625 bore or talk to a machinist.

Sorry John. I have no idea. I'll try to remember to measure it next time I am in the shop but quite frankly, my memory is like a tea bag in the ocean...weak! Call Tim Geist at 304-295-8166. He is the N.A. service rep for Teknatool and he can tell you for sure.

Take care,
    Steve

I have one - first posting, too!

hey, all - I have had a 1624-44 about 5 months now, and enjoy it quite a bit. it's my first lathe, and while i hope to get one with an "automatic transmission" someday, for now, i find this one has great capacity, is powerful, and easy to use. the belt is a bit of a hassle to change speeds, but i'm not a production turner and find woodworking good for me in that it teaches patience, something i'm lacking. i do find the standard legs allow a little too much vibration, though, particularly on finishing cuts - maybe the cast iron option ones would help. i have a bowl on teknatool's user gallery site - check it out! talk to you all more soon, mike

Matt,
    I purchased the 1624 in January 2007. Last month I added the 20" extension mainly so I can park the tailstock when hollowiing forms and boxes. I can also keep my articulated arm on the end so I don't mess up the settings. Additionally, I have a magnetic strip attached to the extension to keep my hollowing cutters, hex wrenches, dental tools and other junk on it.

I don't have a problem with the legs. If I get vibration I turn the speed down. Sure, a flick of the wrist to control speed would be nice-to-have but not necessary-to-have, especially at that price.

I find the banjo to be a little funky. The tool post adjustment is too close to the banjo adjustment and occasionally both adjustments get tangled up. Also, some adjustments on the tool post adjustment will rattle. The tool rest post is a bit short. When turning fat logs I sometimes run out of height. I'll probably be picking up a new tool post with a longer post.

I could never adjust to the lefty-tighty arrangement so I use Talon chucks and will probably get a Vicmarc for the shark jaws.

I don't see any need for me to upgrade the Nova in the near or very far future. It's a great piece of machinery and will give me, literally, a life time of pleasure.

Burt

Matt,

I bought the 1624 last month when Woodcraft had a sale. So far it's everything I need and more. I really can't add any more to whats already been posted. If I were going to buy one and then add the extra acessories such as the bed extension and the cast iron legs I would give some serious thoughts to a Laguna 1847. Looks like it would be less than $100 difference between that and the Nova with all the acessories. For about the same price you would have an extra 2 inches swing, variable speed and 2hp, along with the longer bed. It looks like it is set up exactly the same was as the Jet ant Powermatic. I dont know anyone thats ever used one and I dont know much about there reputation but it might be worth looking into. I went to Laguna's web site not too long ago and filled out a request for a catalog and they sent me several DVD (which I havnt looked at yet) along with a stack of literature on all there tools.

GT

Laguna

Glenn, I just got done watching a bunch of promos at Laguna's site. I had seen the 1847 video before. It definitely appears like a nice lathe. It does seem to one-up the Jet model. I think people haven't bought it for two reasons. 1) No one knows anybody who has one, and there is no track record . 2) You can't buy it locally. This means you can't whisper in its ear and see if it loves you back. Er......I mean, you can't get a feel for it's quality.

Laguna is known for quality tools, and that is certainly in its favor. I think I may have to investigate further. Thanks. I had forgotten about this option.

Hutch

P.S. My biggest question is if an extension bed is available. This is of great importance to me. Though I may not need the length right away, I don't want my turning future to be set in stone right out of the gate.