Thread: 1st large burl

1st large burl

A friend of mine brought back this real dry burl from Ohio on a recent trip. I wasn't sure if I should cut it into smaller sections or turn it whole. I pulled the bark off, mounted a face plate and turned it on my Nova 1624. Not much shake for the size of the burl. It has one coat of tung oil so far.
    Bowl is 22"x17" outside and 13" dia.x 3" deep inside. Criticism and suggestions welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like you have something special there. It also shows what you can do on the Nova 1624, that often get overlooked to go on up to the larger machines. I haven't worked up to the nerve to try anything like that on my Powermatic 3520 yet.

Great job Skip. There is so much going on with the wood itself but I really like what I can see of the shape. Can you put up a pic of the underside?

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

That's quite the chunk of burl! I think you did a good job of keeping most of the burl in it's natural state while turning a functional - and large - bowl! Nice work! Would like to see a picture once it is totally finished!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

really interesting piece of wood.. what is it? look a bit like white oak in the pics
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

Interesting piece of wood. Lots going on with that piece.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

i like the wood and what youve done so far. But, Does any one else think that the bowl would look better it the out side was turned? or if the inside was bigger? it just looks to me like more could be done, not trying to be critical.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    That's quite the chunk of burl! I think you did a good job of keeping most of the burl in it's natural state while turning a functional - and large - bowl! Nice work! Would like to see a picture once it is totally finished!
    That is one wild chunk of wood you got their ..... What kind of wood is it?
    Have wood, will turn!!

I like the natural outside. It is hard to tell the thickness by the shots you have, but it seems pretty thick. It probably works in real life, but probably whould have been shooting for about 1 inch at the thin spots, and having the natural outside increase the thickness where it wanted. About how thick is it? It is hard to tell from the top / bottom shots.

Looks good, though. Please show some profile type shots, and some looking down at an angle.

Edit: Lookingback, you are probably close to what I suggested on the one side. That thing was definately out of round.
    Last edited by Tim A. Mitchell; 04-03-2008 at 11:09 PM.
    -------------

"Just a little bit of a curve will add to its fondleability." - John H.

Hi Skip,
    I've pondered on this for a few days now. I love the bowl, I love the outside, the base needs something though. I'm thinking 3 short legs of some sort. With the base having been what looks like sliced off on a bandsaw then if you can clean that up then I think you have a great form accentuating the natural outside form of the burl. It's a piece I think most would set out as a centerpiece on a lamp table. Good job!! And if you do anything to the base then please post a pic.

Some Answers To Bowl Questions

I will try to get better pictures of the burl bowl, still sanding etc.
    I was told it is walnut but don't know for sure. There are large cracks on each end of the long dimension I filled with sawdust and ca as I turned. I stopped turning the underside rim when the "chirping" got real loud. Sounded like it was ready to come apart! The actual bowl is only 1/4" wall in some areas. There some inclusions that are through or almost through. I want to keep the bowl area with out holes through as much as possible. Will post more when done, thanks for looking and comments.

Nice piece of work!

I have looked at a couple turned burls at club meetings, andyou seem to have pretty much done as much as you could with what you started with. I especaly like the amount of natural burl figure that is left.
    Bob

Thanks for the update Skip. The thickness is really decieving.
    -------------

"Just a little bit of a curve will add to its fondleability." - John H.

I try to finish the bottoms on mine so no one can see how they were held onto the lathe. I think would improve this good looking piece. It's often funny to me how the first thing people look at when they pick up a bowl is the bottom. I like burls and this one has a lot to like.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"