Thread: Is this PM66 a good deal?

Is this PM66 a good deal?

Hello everyone --

I've found a local PM66 in rough shape, but I'm more than willing to put in the TLC to restore it to its former glory (eventually) and end up with a solid saw that will last forever.

The details:

Left Tilt
    1.5 HP
    115/230V
    3450 RPM
    Manufactured in the early 70s.

Problems:

Front cover is missing
    Needs Switch
    Some surface rust on upper left corner of table top

My questions:

1. Does the Century motor have a good reputation? I asked the seller if the motor is original and he says it's painted the same green as the cabinet and looks original. Regarding the power, I don't anticipate needing more than 1.5hp, although I can always replace the motor later on.

2. Does the rust look bad? I know it's hard to tell in the picture. But does a little pitting affect the functionality of the saw? The seller says he doesn't see pitting, athough there could be some.

3. Is an aftermarket fence (like a Biesemeyer) adaptable to this saw? Or is the stock fence solid enough to leave alone?

The asking price is $450... so, good deal?

Thanks!

zayd
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zayd alle; 04-07-2008 at 10:46 PM.

I'm not seeing a picture.

A fair deal. Not a super deal IHMO. By the time you upgrade the fence and motor you are getting near the $1000 mark. There are PM66s out there for $1000, I have one.

CPeter

I sold a PM-66 with a 3 HP motor, 52" Biesemeyer fence, and a Biesemeyer splitter that was in very good condition for $1K. I would say it is an ok deal, not great. Personally, I would probably pass. Just my .02

I got my PM66 in better shape than that saw (but still not great), with a 5hp motor and a PM60 planer for $800. (I don't think I ever did gloat about that. Maybe I should post some pix?)

I'd pass on this deal and wait for the next one.

In my area, a cabinet saw comes up about 1/week. Just keep searching the usual places and a great deal will eventually reveal itself. You can always tell you got a great deal because you don't feel like posting, "Should I buy this?" You feel like posting, "Look what I got!"
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; 04-07-2008 at 8:24 PM. Reason: The PM60 & 66 were, in fact, $800. Damn that was a score.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

I'm glad I asked. I guess I'm more inclined to jump on any PM66/Unisaw deal because used ones rarely pop up around here.

Thanks again for the advice... I'll keep searching!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larsen View Post
    You can always tell you got a great deal because you don't feel like posting, "Should I buy this?" You feel like posting, "Look what I got!"
    Lol... great advice, Eric!

zayd

Well, I have a PM66 from 1966 (that'd make it about 2x my own age ) w/ the 3HP baldor that I picked up w/ a PM50 & 14" Delta bandsaw for $1000. It had surface rust on the table, but that cleaned up easily with a razor blade. It had the same fence which I later upgraded to the Incra system (for $300...another gloat I forgot to mention long time ago). I'd say for $450 it'd be an ok deal? Maybe offer $375 and see what happens? It'd be nicer if the motor was more powerful. A replacement door is $19.88 from powermatic:
    http://www.powermatic.com/Parts.aspx?part=2136002

ARE YOU NUTS!!!! JUMP ON THAT DEAL the powermatic jet lock fence is cast iron, a little rust and a switch is nothing to worry about. I'd jump on it.

Knowing what I know I would pass on it, at that price. I am currently re-building a 1982 PM 66 that I picked up for a song that was in very decent shape, when you factor in the cost of new fence and rails $300, and arbor $75.00 (believe me, on a saw that old you will want to replace those) you're in for more than you would had you brought a nicer saw and you still have to deal with working with a underpowered saw. Again, if it were me, I would keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by zayd alle View Post
    Hello everyone --

I've found a local PM66 in rough shape, but I'm more than willing to put in the TLC to restore it to its former glory (eventually) and end up with a solid saw that will last forever.

The details:

Left Tilt
    1.5 HP
    115/230V
    3450 RPM
    Manufactured in the early 70s.

Problems:

Front cover is missing
    Needs Switch
    Some surface rust on upper left corner of table top

My questions:

1. Does the Century motor have a good reputation? I asked the seller if the motor is original and he says it's painted the same green as the cabinet and looks original. Regarding the power, I don't anticipate needing more than 1.5hp, although I can always replace the motor later on.

2. Does the rust look bad? I know it's hard to tell in the picture. But does a little pitting affect the functionality of the saw? The seller says he doesn't see pitting, athough there could be some.

3. Is an aftermarket fence (like a Biesemeyer) adaptable to this saw? Or is the stock fence solid enough to leave alone?

The asking price is $450... so, good deal?

Thanks!

zayd
    I say yes..its a decent deal.
    That fence is solid as a rock...upgrading is purely optional.
    The rust looks minimal
    The horse power is only 1 and a half...but if you wire it for 220, it will be a rock solid one and a half. I used a 1 hp 110 sears for 20 years and it was more than adequate,unless I used full kerf blades in a hurry. I recently aquired a 20 year old unisaw for 550,spent 127.00 on belts,bearings,arbor flange,and a motor pulley .Altho I have the original miter,i purchased an entry level Incra V27 for about 65.00 I now have a rock solid unisaw with a 9 foot wide beisemeyer .The fence you have there DOES have advantages over the beisemeyer...you may want to keep it . (It locks down at the back and front.) As rebuilding the unisaw was a labor of love, using it is even more enjoyable. Its also made with industrial grade components,finely machined gears and quality nuts,bolts and castings. Its good for another 20 years and will be worth restoring again if needed.Same goes for the pm66.(Dont get me started on the stuff theyre selling new now.)

I bought a Powermatic 66 through an online surplus auction from a local high school that was in nearly the same vintage and condition as the saw you are looking at. I completely disassembled and reassembled it, tuning and adjusting as I went. The parts I replaced were the arbor bearings, the belts, the motor and the power switch. The bearings were about $10 for a set, and the motor was about $100 shipped on ebay. I fully intended to replace the fence with a modern replacement, but it is so solid I can't justify paying for a replacement.

To answer your specific questions:
    - Don't know about the reputation of the motor, but I wouldn't base my buying decision on that. For home use, just about any industrial style motor is going to last you quite awhile. If you were running it for hours a day under max load, you might have to worry about reduced life. If it did happen to die, replacement is neither difficult not overly expensive.
    - The rust doesn't look that bad. People (myself included) restore old hand planes and chisels that are much more badly rusted to be perfectly functional. It's just a matter of how much elbow grease you are willing to spend hand working the surface finish. A little pitting on a flat table top is no big deal.
    - Aftermarket fences are adaptable, but you may find, as I did that the original fence is perfectly functional.
    Todd F.