Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee and the borgs

Milwaukee and the borgs

Is it my imagination, or are Milwaukee tools getting hard to find in the borgs?

I was driving by an Orange borg yesterday, and thought I'd stop by to look at the Milwaukee routers that I thought I had seen there before. Thought I might even buy one. But there were none -- none on display (but an empty spot where they used to be) and none in stock. I found a clerk and asked -- he said they "removed them from inventory" a while back.

Hmmm.... then today I was in the Blue Borg and thought I'd take a look. They used to have a number of Milwaukee corded and cordless drills, saws, sawzalls, etc. They had virtually none on display, and fewer on the stock shelves -- just a few jig saws and one circular saw.

Now looking at the Blue Borg web site, they don't list a single solitary Milwaukee tool.

The Orange Borg site shows a few drills, etc as avialable in stores, but most of the Milwaukee stuff is online only, no in-store purchase.

Am I hallucinating, or is Milawaukee getting out of the borgs? This is bad news for me, as there are few tool stores besides the borgs near me, and virtually all of those are closed nights/weekends when I can shop.

-Tom H.
    Ventura. CA

Local orange borg had Milwaukee body grip on closeout a few weeks ago for 89.00. Was tempted but I already have one,great router. This would seem to confirm your suspicions.

Milwaukee

Can't beat the pricing at www.toolup.com

I have purchased all of my Milwaukee tools from them including the latest fixed/plung 2-1/4 router offered from them. Great tool with a 5 year warranty and made in the USA.

I am pretty sure that Lowes is no longer carrying the Mil. tools.

Lowe's is no longer listed as being an authorized distributor by Milwaukee, but Home Depot still is.

I see this as a good for Milwaukee. The borgs told them to create lower-priced products for them, and Milwaukee said they couldn't do it while maintaining their quality & reputation. So the borgs are not stocking them any more.

What is Milwaukee's catchphrase? "Only heavy-duty." I'm glad to see their integrity is still intact. In my experience, Milwaukee tools are the best of the best, on par with Festool, except geared more towards tradesmen than woodworkers. (usually) Better than Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, etc.

As an example, Bosch's top tools in Europe are sold under the blue color. Their lighter duty stuff is green. In the US, there is only blue, and it is equivalent to Bosch green in Europe.

Another: has anyone seen the "Maktec" line of Makita tools in Menards? Definitely 2nd rate.

A lot of us have been experiencing problems with some DeWalt tools lately. (short-lived battery packs, jigsaws that won't hold their blades, etc.)

Milwaukee doesn't do this kind of thing, and as a result, tradesmen know they can be counted on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    I see this as a good for Milwaukee. The borgs told them to create lower-priced products for them, and Milwaukee said they couldn't do it while maintaining their quality & reputation. So the borgs are not stocking them any more.

What is Milwaukee's catchphrase? "Only heavy-duty." I'm glad to see their integrity is still intact. In my experience, Milwaukee tools are the best of the best, on par with Festool, except geared more towards tradesmen than woodworkers. (usually) Better than Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, etc.

As an example, Bosch's top tools in Europe are sold under the blue color. Their lighter duty stuff is green. In the US, there is only blue, and it is equivalent to Bosch green in Europe.

Another: has anyone seen the "Maktec" line of Makita tools in Menards? Definitely 2nd rate.

A lot of us have been experiencing problems with some DeWalt tools lately. (short-lived battery packs, jigsaws that won't hold their blades, etc.)

Milwaukee doesn't do this kind of thing, and as a result, tradesmen know they can be counted on.

Interesting, but I really don't think that is how it transpired. Milwaukee's parent company (TTI) also manufactures the Ryobi and Ridgid brands. I've also seen unsubstantiated comments in various internet sources eluding to Home depot owning a substantial portion of TTI (I can't comment further, because I can't find those facts). There's no doubt Home Depot and TTI have had a very strong relationship since 2003. You can draw your own conclusion from here

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Henderson2 View Post
    Am I hallucinating, or is Milawaukee getting out of the borgs? This is bad news for me, as there are few tool stores besides the borgs near me, and virtually all of those are closed nights/weekends when I can shop.

-Tom H.
    Ventura. CA
    This could be payment for our sins of getting great deals online . I got my 5615 at Lowe's on closeout a couple years ago and haven't seen any Mil routers at the orange or blue stores near me since then(?). I have bought a couple more Mil's online. Great price, quick and easy.

I do however share your frustration with the local stores turning more and more toward the homebody and away from the serious hobbyist or the pro. They are a volume business model. They have to market to the average person . . . Hey, did I just call myself abnormal!?!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Went to an openhouse at a local tool dealer and looked at Milwaukee nailers. Seems they are all made in China now. Not sure how they compare to others but didn't give me a warm feeling. I have several Milwaukee power tools and the corded tools are awsome but the 28 volt tools sure don't hold a charge.
    I also noticed them disappearing from local borgs as the OP stated.
    Pete

A Lowes manager told me they will no longer carry Milwaukee since Home Depot now owns Milwaukee. I do not know if it is true. But that is what I was told.

James

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post

I agree...and the borgs do a pretty crappy job selling what they do carry simply because they do not carry the accesories that make the Milwaukees a great way to go.
    for example: for the sawsall ....the do not carry the pipe holding jig allowing great cuts on 6 in pvc or iorn pipe
    for the magnum drills...they do not carry the right angle adaptor that allows you to easily drill between close quarter studs,they do not carry the drill extension that allows you to drill over head floor joists without climbing a ladder NOR do they offer the 50 foot removeable power cord that makes work on a ladder much less hassle free with all of the quick lock tools.
    I am a Milwaukee fan..

Went to both Lowes and HD at end of Mar, was looking to buy a Milwaukee 5625-20, the 3.5 HP router. Nothing, no Milwaukee to be seen almost, but one Circular saw.

As a side note, the borgs used to carry large routers, back 10 years ago. I got my DW 625 at Home Depot. Now, the biggest I've seen in a year is 2.25. This does not combine well with my impulse-buying MO to get my new router-wing completed on my tablesaw...
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Home depot does not own Milwaukee.

The are owned by Hong Kong based TTI since 2005.

Techtronics international owns ryobi ,awe heck

Look here, http://www.ttigroup.com/business/bra...2d883e18882ae1

TTi also owns rigid woodworking/hand tools sold at the home depot,

though the plumbing line is not.

A quote fron Thomasnet industrial news:

RIDGID® is a registered trademark of Ridgid, Inc., part of Emerson Professional Tools, a business of St. Louis-based Emerson (NYSE: EMR). The tools are designed and manufactured by OWT Industries, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of TechTronic Industries Company Limited (TTI) (HKEx stock code 669; ADR symbol TTNDY).RIDGID® professional power tools are available at The Home Depot in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico, as well as in industrial supply centers across the United States.

Just trying to clear some things up

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Asian_E.../HF16Dk01.html

After reading this article I agree with the speculation that TTI is trying to preserve the integrity of the brand name Milwaukee. I hope they are successful. I wouldn't trade my Super Sawzall or Half inch Milwaukee drills for anything. Clearly they are the Cadillacs in there class.

James

I was in HD last week.....they had a brand new Milwaukee display at the front of the store, not in the tool department.

Ed