Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Workbench Complete

Very nice... I like the way you arched the skirt into the vice. Bench that nice says worlds about your dedication to woodworking
    WHY IS IT SO MUCH EASIER TO START A NEW PROJECT THEN TO FINISH THE CURRENT ONE...

Beautiful Bench

Makes you not want to put a dent or scratch on it...

It's a keeper.

Enjoy...

Outstanding!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    That's a beauty Dan!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

nice job! How heavy is that thing?
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

Lovely! And those vises look like they could crush a locomotive!
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Dan, that really is an awesome looking workbench. I bet you will enjoy working on it for years to come.
    I would also like some of the build info (amount of material, time, plans, etc) on this bench.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Lori K

I'm sure you are proud of your new bench as it is indeed a thing of beauty. However if there is a flaw, it would be its location - it should be adorning your dinning room or living room with other fine furniture. Most excellent, congrats.

Thanks!

Thanks all. I really wish I could take credit for the design, but I can't - it is the feature article in ShopNotes #65. I am relatively new to woodworking (~2 yrs as new hobby), so I learned a ton by having a plan and following the ShopNotes instructions. The following issue has some very nice cabinets for below which I am tackling next...

Of course I modified a few things. The ShopNotes plan called for a triple layer 3/4" MDF top. For durability I replace this with a 2-1/2" maple glue-up with the same length & width dimensions. This required some mods on how I attached the oak aprons to prevent warping w/ seasonal wood movement.

The finish is 4 coats of Tung Oil tinted with a bit of Van Dyke Brown artist paint - first time I tried this, but I'm happy with the results so far.

Your right about the shop cleanliness - I hardly recognize it in the picture myself. Every now and again I get the energy to tidy up, but normally it's a bit of a mess.

Good suggestion about using turned oak for the vise handles. The ones I used came with the vises. When I get a lathe some day I may turn some out of Oak.

Dan, you may not be able to take credit for the design, but you can certainly take credit for the execution! And you did a fantastic job!

And for anyone who's interested, the plans are available through the ShopNotes web site! http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/heavy-duty-workbench/

Dan, thanks for the inspiration!

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

work bench

beautiful!!! who's vice mechanisms and where can I purchase a pair?

Front vise is Jorgensen 41012. Twin screw is Veritas 16-7/8" kit. I purchased both from Woodcraft.

thanks

thankyou, I will look these folks up. Again very nice- Rob

Reviving an oldie here!

Going to pick up some some ash this weekend to build this same bench. Similar to the OP, I will be laminating 2 x 2 1/2" strips for the top as opposed to the plans which call for three 3/4" MDFs. It also calls for 2 x 3" aprons glued around the top which I would like to keep.

It will reside in my basement shop which is controled at 68 deg and 45% humidity. I think I have read that I will not be able to glue the apron the whole way arouond do to movement. That kinda stinks being the the two vices rely on the aprin for strength (especially the twin screw vise). Is there no way around being able to glue them? I could lag them into the adjacent aprins, but I am not real excited about that.

Here is the plan for the twin screw vice...

vice.JPG

Any thoughts?

Thanx in advance

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Scott, you would be better off starting a new thread and asking your question.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino