Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Whirlpool Duet washer owners out there?

Thumbs down Any Whirlpool Duet washer owners out there?

My Duet washer, which will be celebrating its 4th birthday on 4.23.08 has a major problem. The bearings supporting the basket in the tub have failed and the front bearing has worn down the shaft on the basket.

After searching on line it appears that the bearings and shaft seal are not available separately, but are included in the rear tub assembly ($251.00).

The warranty claims the "Stainless steel basket" ($222.00) is guaranteed for life, but the shaft/spider is bolted to it...probably not included in the warranty.

The front boot ($85.00) has an unrelated tear in it and needs replacing.

I have to replace the vent hose ($?) that I damaged during cleaning.

Now for the abbreviated rant. Shouldn't a $1000.00 washer last more than 4 years?

What do you think? Repair or scrap it and buy a brand new top-loader for 3 or 4 hundred dollars?

I'm leaning toward the new top loader. Anything not made by Whirlpool or any of its acquisitions.

Recommendations happily accepted.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Kyle,

Can't help you with your problem, but glad to read your post. I need a new washer and dryer and had considered the Duet. I agree totally that your $1000 bucks ought to get you more than four years. I'm not a huge fan of Fridgedair (sp?) but almost 12 years ago I bought a washer and dryer manufactured by them. Both washer and dryer have an annoying squeak but are still going strong. My main complaint with them is that they are both loud. Good luck with your search.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

We have the Calypso set that was about that same price range and after 6 years the only problem has been a replacement heating element for the dryer that I did myself, part about $70. Meanwhile the reviews and complaints all over the internet say that it should have died years ago. I'm beginning to think that lemons in appliances are more common than cars, and it's probably a good idea to avoid buying a completely new model the first year it comes out.

I'm inclined to advise the less expensive new machine. Maytag top loaders start at about $400.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Crap......I just looked and our washer/drier is a Whirlpool Duet. And its about 4 yrs old
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

I don't know what to recommend. I can only tell you what I don't recommend from experience: Whirlpool, Kenmore, Maytag and GE.

I guess that leaves either European stuff or the ol' washboard. It truly is a race to the bottom.

Good Luck...Jeff

Randy,
    I saw a review on e-pinions dot com from a guy in Canada whose Duet washer died 3 months prior to its 4th birthday. It sounded like a transcript of my experience.

Right now I'm thinking of a $50 Criagslist or Kalamazoo Gazette special. At that price I can buy a "new to me" one every year and be money ahead.

I can also buy a U.S. made washboard from a place in Ohio for $20.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Ugh. We bought our Duets three weeks after you bought yours. No issues yet but you have me worried.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

Wow...don't get me started on this topic.....I can tell you that Maytag isn't what it used to be and many are having their machines made "elsewhere" and quality of components are always at high risk.

With 4 kids in our home...we've been through 3 sets of washers and dryers..
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have a 12 year old Frigidaire front loading washer and stacking dryer. No service calls on either so far. They are built in Webster City, Iowa for whatever that's worth.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Are they the Cabrio Models???? We have the top load model...

Whirlpool makes a bunch of brands - Maytag and Kitchen Aid perhaps the best known, but look here for the whole list.

No personal experience with Whirlpool products. I have a water heater with their name on it but it's made by someone else - they just provide the brand and Lowes sells it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Chances are you believe the salesman when he said if you can get the clothes in it, it'll wash them.

Actually the Duet is one of the better front loaders out there.
    Sounds like yours had some rough use.

Over loading is taking rear bearings out on all of the front loaders.

I'd stay away from the Maytag top loader unless you make sure its a two drive belt version, that is the Maytag your folks used for many years, the single belt version is a by far cheaper made unit, you'd be better buying a direct drive Whirlpool if that's the case.

Kyle, I think I toss this one as it sounds pretty beat up, and go look for another washer, labor and parts are going to kill ya, and it seems the washer has had so rough times.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

My experience with the front loading Maytag Neptune has been terrible. I was on a first name basis with the repairman he visited so much. He
    finally determined that it was not fixable ( after three mixing valves, timer, two solid state circuit boards and various problems with speed and cycle duration)
    and petitioned Maytag for a replacement washer. This washer has been relatively trouble free with exception of a musty smell inside.

My previous top loader washer and dryer was Maytag (no trouble), but I suppose that was during the era when the Maytag repairman was the loneliest man in town.

After 12 years I replaced my Maytag toploader with a Neptune. Neptune worked great for 5 years until the controller would not lock the door for spin, replaced with a Duet. The Duet has worked great so far. I was in the parts house getting a new drum for my Maytag dryer (cut nails that get in between the drum and the back will eventually cause wear). Mentioned the problems with the Neptune. The counter man pointed to an exploded diagram poster of the Neptune and showed me what the problem parts were. I asked if they had had a lot of problems with the Neptune. His response - "Do you see any exploded diagrams for any other washers in here?" There was only the one of the Neptune. The dryer only lasted 20 years.

Older Neptune washers had a class action lawsuit against them, prob over now but if you have one might be worth it to check.

Not sure if I can post the web site so just google neptune lawsuit and it should take you there.
    Supposely they have fixed the prob but I'd stay away from Neptunes for now.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.