Thread: Hardwood in the Houston area

Hardwood in the Houston area

Anyone from the houston area have any reconmendations on places to buy rough lumber? I've contacted the first 2 entries from google which included Clarks Hardwoods and Mason Mills and lumber. Clarks gave me a price for 4/4 at 2.35bf while Mason Mills gave me a price of 1.97bf. Before I call each and every place, does anyone have any places they prefer? I would be willing to pay a little bit more if they are a mom and pop type small place also. Suggestions welcome!!

Thanks

Kevin

Greg Crawford on here may know of a more affordable/reputable seller. I'm sure he'll see this thread.

Blog Entries
    I've found the two mentioned plus Houston Hardwoods to be reputable. You might also look at M&G sawmill in Huntsville. They have a web site.

M&G sawmill
    Houston Hardwoods
    Clarks Hardwoods

I have spent a considerable amount of money at Houston Hardwoods, and while their selection is nice, they know how to get your money. I am anxious to take a trip up to M&G sawmill when i get the time. They list their walnut at about 4$/bf while Houston Hardwoods has it at about $5.75/bf.

Houston hardwoods has a nice delivery rate though if you order a lot of 4x8's from them for cabinets, which is nice for me since i don't have a truck that can carry 4x8's.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Brazos Forest Products, though I am not sure how extensive their inventory is.

Thanks for the responses. Have any of you noticed a qualitydifference from place to place? I see some pretty hefty differences in price. How much of that price is quality?

Kevin

I've been shopping at Clark's. Their prices are pretty high, but the have a very large selection. Quality can be spotty. I bought some great 9"+ wide maple one time. When I went back for more all they had was narrower stuff that didn't look all that great.

Clark's and Houston Hardwoods both have pretty extensive inventories, I believe Houston Hardwoods has a larger selection and on most items I have purchased their pricing has been a little better plus their overall quality seems to be better although at times you may have to go into the back warehouse because they haven't replenished stock out front. I haven't been to Masons or Brazos Forest so I can't speak about them.

You won't find any better people than Micheal and Glen at M&G Sawmill (just a little disclaimer here, I went to highschool with Glen 35 yrs ago), their inventory on maple and walnut at times is a little spotty so be sure and call before you make the drive up there. http://mgsawmill.com/
    David

Houston sawmill

BC Woodwork in Houston is a local sawmill on Pinemont off of TC Jester. Brian is a wood worker who has a saw mill business on the side. He has huge slabs of local trees that have been cut down from construction sites, storm damage etc. He cut a 30' silver maple (18" diameter) I had to take down this winter, into 3" and 1" boards, for a total price around $200. Check out his web site, bcwoodwork.com

His address is:
    BC Woodwork 4426 Pinemont Houston, TX. 77018
    Shop: 713-545-8506
    Ask for Brian