Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pocket hole on a 45deg

http://www.kregtool.com/information_...g_pro_pack.pdf

Page 21 and 22 talk about aprons. They say to use a corner brace or a gusset to reinforce the corner. they do not show how to do the brace (maybe they do not recommend doing the brace with pocket holes) but they do show how to do the reinforcement with a gusset and pocket screws (maybe thats their recommended way).

George
    2B1ASK1

The result

Okay, here's what I did. It worked pretty darn well, too.

Screwed the center in first drawing the brace tight against the leg. Then the four side screws. It might have been slight overkill, if there is such a thing when it comes to strucural.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Amy
    Attached Images Attached Images

i made a table (well, a small 18"x18" stand) recently and used a similar technique, but with 2"x2" legs and finish nails where your screws are. i also bored holes and drilled screws through the legs into the apron, and used plugs and sanded smooth. it looks nice for this style, but id like to make another table without seeing plugs. it is solid though, i sat on it, stood on it, and tossed it around, so it holds my stereo just fine

anyway, i am looking to buy and use a pocket jig system instead of nails, (is kreg k3ms the best?) and am wondering how to improve.

how did you attach the aprons to the legs? do you go from the inside of the apron and use the jig to set the screws into the legs?

also, how did you join the pieces to make a thicker leg? just glue? how do you hide the seams? is a veneer the only way?

sorry for the newb questions, but i am one

thanks, and nice tables, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Zick View Post
    i made a table (well, a small 18"x18" stand) recently and used a similar technique, but with 2"x2" legs and finish nails where your screws are. i also bored holes and drilled screws through the legs into the apron, and used plugs and sanded smooth. it looks nice for this style, but id like to make another table without seeing plugs. it is solid though, i sat on it, stood on it, and tossed it around, so it holds my stereo just fine
    Sounds nice Leo. Of course without pictures it doesn't exist

anyway, i am looking to buy and use a pocket jig system instead of nails, (is kreg k3ms the best?) and am wondering how to improve.
    Because I am broker than broke, I went the cheap way and bought the Kreg mini-jig. The only two drawbacks I've thought of is you can only drill one hole per set-up, and you have to manually set the placement. There isn't a lip to rest on the edge.

how did you attach the aprons to the legs? do you go from the inside of the apron and use the jig to set the screws into the legs?
    Drilled the holes into the legs with the jig. Then install the screws. The screwheads and pocket holes are actually now located behind the corner braces.

also, how did you join the pieces to make a thicker leg? just glue? how do you hide the seams? is a veneer the only way?
    I used biscuits to help with alignment, but glue is evidently all you really need for that face-to-face joint. On the backside of legs I didn't really hide the seams. They just kind of blend in. And since I don't have a planer or a proper hand plane, I very carefully flattened some of the joints with a chisel. Here is an exploded version of how I assembled the legs...

001.jpg

sorry for the newb questions, but i am one
    So am I... so am I...

Amy

thats an interesting way to make legs. there will certainly be some thickness there! so, you are left with a few seams i guess, not too bad.
    i like the idea of the pocket hole jig, ill have to invest in it when i am ready for my next project..

attached is my ugly table, stained this dark on purpose since black stereo equipment sits on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (87.5 KB, 17 views)