Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chainsaw chain sharpeners

Does anyone know the correct type of file for sharpening chains, and have a quick pic they could upload?
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    My point about the TS blades is that the chain is moving through the wood at about the same speed--which is pretty fast. "Balance" comes to mind...
    I've read where the blade tip speed on a TS is 150 MPH....so yea...pretty fast indeed.

I hand sharpen and wish I had a setup where I could "get the world right" after a few hand sharpenings.

My deal with my level of hand sharpening is that my chain nevers cuts as good as it did when I just purchased the chain....so I guess I'm missing some part of the "technique".
    Don't get me wrong...it does cut well when I'm done sharpening, but just not as good as it did new out of the box.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    If I can keep it out of the dirt and other chain-eaters.
    The "secret" has been let out of the bag.....

Hand file has worked for me for years now, and I grew up sharpening chains for lumberjack uncles til I was big enough to ride on the skidders and help load out logs on the cherry picker. To say I sharpened alot of chains is an understatement.

Greg
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 04-22-2008 at 4:50 PM. Reason: fixed quote syntax.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ring View Post
    Does anyone know the correct type of file for sharpening chains, and have a quick pic they could upload?
    round files of varying sizes for different size chain ...mainly(correct me here) 5/32" and (is it) 13/64"..????
    Give an honest days work for an honest days pay

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ring View Post
    Pferd files, or the double cut swiss chain files from Stihl are what I use. I like the Stihl files best.

Flat for the rakers, usually round for the cutters (unless you square grind your chains)

In general:
    .325 chain pitch = 3/16 file dia.
    3/8 chain pitch = 13/64 file dia.
    .404 chain pitch = 7/32 file dia.

Cheers

BTW - These are the most common chain pitches. There are some smaller pitch chains too that may require a 5/32 file dia. ....And some even bigger ones that not many are likely to have....
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 04-23-2008 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schmid View Post
    Pferd files, or the double cut swiss chain files from Stihl are what I use. I like the Stihl files best.

Flat for the rakers, usually round for the cutters (unless you square grind your chains)

In general:
    .325 chain pitch = 3/16 file dia.
    3/8 chain pitch = 13/64 file dia.
    .404 chain pitch = 7/32 file dia.

Cheers

BTW - These are the most common chain pitches. There are some smaller pitch chains too that may require a 5/32 file dia. ....And some even bigger ones that not many are likely to have....

Ditto that, and I think you had mentioned the Northern Tool grinder that's a copy of the Oregon model? I have that grinder, and with the exception of the clamping mechanism, its a great grinder. The HF "chicago" cheapie is a joke; I saw it in the HF in Richmond. Anyway, the Northern grinder is great, as long as you're careful to clamp it securely. Once you sharpen a few chains, its really fast as well. I use my 394XP to mill with, and sharpening a 32" or 42" chain gets old quick. Watch for sales and you can usually find the Northern grinder for $85 or so. Its worth it if you do a lot of sawing. And, as someone mentioned, its a lifesaver if you rock out a chain, or hit metal. . I like the Pferd files too. Any tips on how to keep them from loading up? I honestly hadn't checked if they are double or single cut, but they seem to fill up quicker than the stihl files. They are a heck of a lot cheaper, so it hasn't really mattered, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hawkes View Post

Ditto that, and I think you had mentioned the Northern Tool grinder that's a copy of the Oregon model? I have that grinder, and with the exception of the clamping mechanism, its a great grinder. The HF "chicago" cheapie is a joke; I saw it in the HF in Richmond. Anyway, the Northern grinder is great, as long as you're careful to clamp it securely. Once you sharpen a few chains, its really fast as well. I use my 394XP to mill with, and sharpening a 32" or 42" chain gets old quick. Watch for sales and you can usually find the Northern grinder for $85 or so. Its worth it if you do a lot of sawing. And, as someone mentioned, its a lifesaver if you rock out a chain, or hit metal. . I like the Pferd files too. Any tips on how to keep them from loading up? I honestly hadn't checked if they are double or single cut, but they seem to fill up quicker than the stihl files. They are a heck of a lot cheaper, so it hasn't really mattered, just curious.
    I agree, as with your 394xp, the 42" chain for my MS660 can get to be just plain old WORK by hand compared to the short ones. The Pferd files are a standard spiral cut file, work good, and are cheaper, but I agree on that too; they load up faster than the double cut Stihl and I don't think they cut as fast. I have no magic bullet here. I just keep a small stainless steel wire brush handy to clean out the loose stuff. Sooner or later you just pitch 'em in the "i'm sure I can use that for something" pile and grab another If I remember right, the Pferd files are about $11 doz while Stihl files are about $20 doz. Haven't had to buy any in a while...

Oh yeah, the HF "Chicago" is, shall we say, rather "flexible" Literally, the plastic frame flexes when you move the cutting head. LOL
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 04-23-2008 at 4:02 PM.

Chainsaw Sharpening

Been running the Stihl framboss for years. Never got a power grinder for sharpening. Tried a couple of guides. Found them too much bother, am back to using good Stihl files and the guide clamped onto the file.

So I am back to the basics, well I gave up my Liegh Jig and am cutting dovetails by hand again too. Is this reverse evolution?

I have the Chop Saw version and love it. Some tips I picked up over time worth mentioning.

Saw one from a Saw Shop with Blue Burnt tips after some kid went at it with the grinder. Then low and behold I see my chain has the same blue heat mark on the tip.... Solution.... I keep a dressing stone handy and dress the wheel with each chain to remove oil and dirt missed in the cleaning process. A black mark on the wheel is dirt causing a build up of heat on the steel. Next is technique.... Rather than do a one stroke chop or cut on the chain I do a series of 4 ever deeper strokes to the final depth. This lets the chain cool some between strokes.

I never was good enough to do it with a file.... The Chop Saw version lets Amateur's like me sharpen a chain... Had quite a following of customers during the winter when I would do the first one for free then charge. Never a complaint, lots of repeat business.

Pocono AL

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    For those that advocate hand filing: how many of you would hand-sharpen your table saw blades? While a chainsaw is used for rough cutting, it is still very much a precision cutting tool--that's why the rakers are set to 0.025" below the cutting teeth on most chains. You can't eyeball that. Jigs and machines for sharpening...

I repaired chain saws for professional tree trimmers for over 20 years. I used the Oregon bench mounted power sharpener mentioned in a previous post----but only after the chain had been damaged------saw users hand sharpened chains instead. Hand sharpening allows a chain to be used even after a tooth or three have been sharpened to extinction----the power sharpener shortens the useable life by as much as a third---since the setting for sharpening is determined by the smallest tooth.

The key is to also file down the anti-kickback rakers after the teeth are filed past the raker height.

Now, I will caution hand filers of one potential problem---filing opposing teeth at a different angle. That will cause the saw to cut at an angle---and it is almost impossible to cut straight with a misfiled chain.

Professionals usually 'sweeten' the teeth after several hours of use---depending on the wood being cut----more often when cutting hedge than elm, for instance. 'Sweetening' consists of using a hand file in two strokes, rotating the file on each stroke and filing into the edge. That keeps the teeth cutting edge very sharp-----if you hand sharpen correctly, you will need to use gloves to avoid being cut.

Quote Originally Posted by AL Ursich View Post
    I have the Chop Saw version and love it. Some tips I picked up over time worth mentioning.
    What sort of grinder / cutter are you running in your chop saw sharpening rig~?

Is it a conventional Abrasive 10"-dia steel cutting wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    What sort of grinder / cutter are you running in your chop saw sharpening rig~?

Is it a conventional Abrasive 10"-dia steel cutting wheel?
    Cliff,

I could be wrong, but I interpreted that to mean he was using an Oregon 511A style (kind of a "mini chop saw" if you will) machine, which have a 5 5/8" grinding wheel.