Thread: Reintroduction and ? on Allergies

Reintroduction and ? on Allergies

Hello everyone! While not "new" around here I have been not online much for the last couple of years. I remember when this forum started as BP fell. Back then I was Chris Whitehair, but when we got married my wife wondered why only she had to change her name. I had always thought about reverting back to the original version of Whitehair so we both changed! Anyways, I am just starting back into woodworking and I have some questions.

Does anyone have any hints, techniques, or suggestions for woodworkers with allergies or asthma? The reason that I ask is the same reason that I have been scarce the past couple of years. I was diagnosed with a very rare immune system disorder, Churg-Strauss Syndrome, which has left me with allergies and asthma. It not curable but I am trying to get it into remission. I actually feel well enough to venture into the shop again.

I have a Grizzly DC ducted to all machines. It was bought pre cyclone popularity but I did upgrade the upper bag to a much tighter weave. I can't remember the actual microns it is good for but it is much better than stock. I also have an air filtration box, that was a PSI kit that I built.

What is a good mask/respirator to have? I have been trying the disposal ones but they are very uncomfortable as are the half-face cartridge masks.

Thanks,
    Chris

They do have full face masks out there. They have motors that pump filtered air into the mask. If you are that prone to allergies / asthma don't even think of going into a shop without full protection. I would even suggest you have "shop cloths" like an overall, that never leave the shop and surgical gloves.

I have allergies too but they are just minor announces and don't cover up myself.

Chris,

I am allergic to the sawdust from most woods and I wear glasses, which fog up with most respirator solutions. Although it's a bit pricey, I have found the 3M HEPA Airstream to work very well -- it's comfortable, cool, my glasses never fog, there's no resistance to breathing, and I have no reaction to even the worst sawdust.

It looks like a hard-hat with a face mask, including filters and a lightweight fan, with belt-mount a battery pack. I've never run the battery down, even after a full eight hours. It's much lighter than it looks -- I can wear it comfortably all day if necessary. All parts are readily replaceable and Air America service has been great.

I had to swallow hard to spend the $$, but the results were worth it. Unfortunately, it has about doubled in price since then. After my success with the Airstream, today I would give a good look at alternatives with the same approach of fresh filtered air flowing across your face, including the 3M Airmate and the Trend Airshield -- though I haven't tried them (Airware America is currently offering a "no questions asked" guarantee on the Trend).

http://www.airwareamerica.com/index....TS&Category=21
    http://www.airwareamerica.com/index....TS&Category=22
    http://www.airwareamerica.com/index....TS&Category=17

Wayne and Hubert,

Thanks for the info. At this point I don't know what I am allergic to as my old primary didn't see the need for allergy testing. I have been on prednisone for over 2 years so I can't have testing done until July. I am a bit concerned because I had a lung CAT scan Friday where they saw some damage. They are trying to determine if it is new or scar tissue. I figure that keeping dust out of the lungs will only help!

The prices for the full face shields sure are steep. That is one of the reasons I was looking for feedback as to what works and is comfortable.

Chris

Allergies

I can't help with masks but I can relate my SWMBO's experience. She made a good run at keeping the OTC allergy med manufacturers in business single-handed. She did get tested and took allergy shots for about 2 years. She hasn't had any allergy meds since receiving the shots. REALLY helped her.

HTH

Curt

Chris, just get a proper respirator, with the replacable filters and rubber mask that goes around your nose and mouth. This will do you more good than the dust collector, unless your allergies are skin or eye related.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    Chris, just get a proper respirator, with the replacable filters and rubber mask that goes around your nose and mouth. This will do you more good than the dust collector, unless your allergies are skin or eye related.

Jeremy I have one of these now and I really don't like it! The respirator being left in place does cause problems with my skin if I use it for very long. Anything that covers my skin for a while causes irritation. At this point I am most concerned with causing any more damage to my lungs. So far no allergic reactions since resuming work in the shop, I am even working with walnut for the first time.

I do like the idea of the full face shield, now I just have to suck up the costs. If anyone has any more ideas on the best shields or suggestions for places to look I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
    chris

There are several different respirators out there, including the Triton system, and the Trend Airshield, that would work well for you. They are pricey, but for someone with a lot of allergies, particularly lower respiratory allergies, these would be a good choice.

I would assume that you are on at least something for your allergies. For people with varied allergies, including some kind of antihistamine (such as Claritin or Zyrtec), maybe some kind of nasal spray (like Nasonex or Flonase), and maybe Singulair. They can all be used together, or as someone else mentioned, you can do formal allergy testing and desensitization shots.

Doc

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5511
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4923
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Weishaar View Post

...I have a Grizzly DC ducted to all machines. It was bought pre cyclone popularity but I did upgrade the upper bag to a much tighter weave. ...

Chris
    I have a Grizzly double bag dust collector, and can assure you that it is inadequate for my shop. I replaced the bags with sub-micron bags, and it is still inadequate. I replace the sub-micron bags with a gigantic custom upper bag, and it is better but still inadequate. I replaced the 4 inch pipes with 6 inch, and it is better but still inadequate. I have dust masks and cartridge respirators, but I can't stand wearing them all day, so they don't do the job.

The smallest really good dust collector system I have personally seen is a 5 hp cyclone with big smooth metal pipes and lots of blast gates. Another word for that is EXPENSIVE.

I am debating between a hood, such as has been recommended here, or going to a big cyclone, or both. I am feeling the impact on my lungs, and know people who had to give up woodworking because of lung problems, so (although I hate the cost) those solutions are cheap.

If you want something better look into 3M Adflo Clear Visor...

I looked into these things some months ago. Here is a link for you to go and check for yourself:
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...learVisor.html

This model is good for both dust and volatile organics.
    It sure is pricey, but it is the best one I have come up with so far. Realize I don't have any first hand experience, just based on internet research.

I have just installed a cyclone and will eventually buy one these respirators as well for better protection.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Weishaar View Post
    Jeremy I have one of these now and I really don't like it! The respirator being left in place does cause problems with my skin if I use it for very long. Anything that covers my skin for a while causes irritation. At this point I am most concerned with causing any more damage to my lungs. So far no allergic reactions since resuming work in the shop, I am even working with walnut for the first time.

I do like the idea of the full face shield, now I just have to suck up the costs. If anyone has any more ideas on the best shields or suggestions for places to look I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    There are several different respirators out there, including the Triton system, and the Trend Airshield, that would work well for you. They are pricey, but for someone with a lot of allergies, particularly lower respiratory allergies, these would be a good choice.

I would assume that you are on at least something for your allergies. For people with varied allergies, including some kind of antihistamine (such as Claritin or Zyrtec), maybe some kind of nasal spray (like Nasonex or Flonase), and maybe Singulair. They can all be used together, or as someone else mentioned, you can do formal allergy testing and desensitization shots.

Doc

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5511
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4923
    Thanks Doc,

I am on plenty of meds, but finally off of prednisone. I am on Advair, allegra, flonase, and singulair, plus some other immuno suppresants. I am scheduled for allergy testing on July 2nd so that should be interesting.

I will check out the masks, I am most concerned about increasing the damage that was already done to my lungs.

Chris

Yep, they're pricey, but they really work well. I'd try the Trend to see if it's comfortable enough to wear all day. Its batteries last less than half as long as the 3m Airstream, but it's also quite a bit less expensive. It wasn't available when I got my Airstream.