Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any idea's on how they carved these blocks?

Any idea's on how they carved these blocks?

Does anyone have any idea of how these childrens blocks were carved? The one in the photo is from the late 1800's or early 1900's so I know it wasn't laser or CNC router technology. The relief of the carvings is about 1/16". My wife has a large collection of these antique blocks. The carving seems to vary from 1/32 to as deep as almost 3/16". It seems to be on the end grain in most all cases with the other 4 sides painted or plain.
    the block is about 1 3/4" cubed so the detail is very fine. The only thing I could think of is sandblasting with a photo resist, but I think it's too smooth for that & I can't believe it would have economically feasible if the technology even existed that far back.
    The wood seems to be Pine and Basswood with some other species randomly appearing in older sets.
    I would like to try makings some - I've newly found this forum, but do a lot of cabinet work & antique repair.
    thanks for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have no clue, but I am guessing it was done with a press and a die. Would be easier to crush the wood fibers if its done to the end grain.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I think Ben nailed it. It wouldn’t take much tonnage to press that.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

That's my guess too. I'd go further and guess that they probably pressed a whole sheet of them at once and then cut them apart.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

carved blocks

Why not worked by hand like other woodblock carving? Ever see how fine engravers can work? Certainly in the late 1800s labor didn't cost much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Why not worked by hand like other woodblock carving? Ever see how fine engravers can work? Certainly in the late 1800s labor didn't cost much.
    The relief is amazingly consistent. Granted human hands can do wonderful things including such carving. I just doubt that the time was spent on children's blocks. I'm going with press. JMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

"Why not worked by hand like other woodblock carving...in the late 1800s labor didn't cost much."

This is how the thousands of apprentice carvers spent their time. Part of their training program. Of course, they spent the first five years learning how to sharpen their chisels properly. Then it was on to the block carving. This phase of the apprenticeship could last anywhere from five to ten years. And since the apprentices were indentured, they worked very cheap indeed. After they became proficient at carving blocks, they moved on to carving those little crown designs in the tops of checkers. I thought everyone knew this....
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    I can't comment on the cost of labor in the US in the late 1800's, but for most of the early history of the USA labor was scarce. That's one reason the industrial revolution took hold so well in the United States. While the industrial revolution occurred in Britain, there was much more resistance to mechanization in Britain than in the United States simply because there was greater availability (and organization) of labor in Britain.

But maybe those blocks were made in England.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

One way to get a flat background is to chisel the pattern in one block, not worrying about the background. You can even cut it a little deep. Then glue the pattern face of this block to a second block. When the glue has set, cut the blocks apart, leaving the pattern on the new block. If you have lettering, you need to remember to cut the letters backwards.

This is just a guess, but Why couldn't they have been routed using a small diameter cutter in a steam powered shop router using a master template? They might have been able to rout several at once. Many shops in the 18th century had machinery powered by steam engines thru overhead shafts and belt drives to the various machines. Steam power is what started the industrial revolution in the 18 century.

Russ

Alan.

Would that work, considering that it might be endgrain to endgrain? The glueing, I mean.

Mike, I guess I was thinking that they were made in England; I don't know why, maybe I thought the design looked English.

Russ, if they had that technology when these were made that's a good hypothesis.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 05-24-2008 at 6:38 PM.

How about sandblasting? I've sandblasted lots of wood (even end grain) and it looks a lot like that. Just a guess.

Carl

maybe they were burned in with an iron then just scraped away the charred?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    These things were made by the thousands. Do you really think that they would go to the trouble of carving/routing/burning/sandblasting/chisling, when a single hardened steel die could punch them out in a second or two, and do it ‘till the cows came home?
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    . . . snip. . .After they became proficient at carving blocks, they moved on to carving those little crown designs in the tops of checkers. I thought everyone knew this....
    You may be right. But I thought they spent the first five years carving the logos in bars of soap.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate