Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thought I would stop and ask about that downed tree...

Yep, Leigh - silver maple is good turning stock. I've got a couple in my yard I'm going to take down one of these days.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I feel yr pain. I can't tell you how many trees are chipped and hauled away from my development. If I had taken up this passion 3 years ago, I'd have 10 years of good beech and oak for just about anything.

With all the waste in the world, I'd figure people willing to pick up yr potential trash should be commended and politely turned down - not haughtilly dismissed.

Then again, it IS his prerogative. Screw him and his knotty, diseased maple. Hope he gets termites!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    any interesting peices on it?
    I don't turn, i'm sure there are some pieces someone would be interested in.

The main trunk is coming down Sunday, i already have all the branches off of it. I'm giving most of the wood away. If you bring a chipper i'll toss in a free beer too.

A coworker had a maple fall in a storm last summer and he kindly let me harvest it. I milled most of it for flatwork (he is getting a picture frame from me soon - he wants maple, imagine that ) but have some for turning too. My very first turned handle for my first bowl gouge (from Doug Thompson) is from this tree.

I've thought of, but have not yet worked up the stones to, ask some of the folks getting trees downed for a piece or two. Maybe after I get some bowl experience I can offer a bowl in trade.

wish i could dave, but i aint 21 its a little far and i have no chipper. the good peices are the crotch peices, and any bulges, or lumps
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

In the past, I have handled these situations with a business-like approach when dealing with this kind of person. What I want is say perhaps a half truckload of choice cuts of green wood (for example). Naturally I want the crotch and other hard-to-split sections. In exchange, I might be willing to trade (as much as) double the amount of already split and seasoned ordinary firewood that he can sell or use immediately.

I did this a just few months ago.....half truckload of uncut walnut...highgraded by me....beautiful stuff.....for a full truckload of split seasoned delivered alder. For many of these folks, wood is wood and quantity matters most.

7. Unhappy

.... Welcome to the real update world, sorry to say .

Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

I just got back a few hours ago from a service weekend at a Boy Scout camp. I probably could have taken all the wood I wanted.

My job this morning was to drive the main road and throw any branches sticking into the road back into the woods. I could have had a heck of a bonfire if I had collected all the branches.

I am sure I could have picked up some nice turning wood from the chain saw crew if I was into that. Nice to have connections.