Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to drill a square hole?

let the nail make it square

I don't think I sure would do anything but drill a pilot hole roughly the size of the thinnest part of the nail, and let the nail take care of the rest of it. I have been using square cut nails in some shaker benchs with this method. Now for square pegs in round holes I trick I learned at marc adams school, is to sacrifice and old brace&bit bit, and use the tapered square drive end, drill a round hole (they are easier that way) the size of your square peg, take your newly created taper square tool, square the entrance up, tape the end of the square peg a bit, drive it in and voila, a square peg in a round hole. ______________ but back to your cut nail, when they were used regularly they only used pilot hole, or hammered directly. What I have never known for sure is which way you orient the longer side, I always assumed to compress long grain, and reduce splitting out. That's what I do. How big are these nails you are using? How thick is the material? Finish to be highly finished or rustic or painted. Ray Knight

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    There's only one of me: if there were two of me, I'd make the other one do all the work.
    Hey Lee, Maybe you are #2...

The cut nails I'm using are #10 spikes to be used ornamentally to support a square bowl. The nails will be in each corners, approximately 1/2" from each edge. I am very concerned about the possibility of cracking since these are important design elements of the bowl.

Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like I have a bit of filing to do.

I'm still trying to figure out why this was moved from the Turning forum. What was the thought process involved. I got good information, but not related to turning. I must thank the person that moved it.

keithz
    Last edited by keith zimmerman; 06-02-2008 at 4:35 PM.
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Square Holes

I don't know if this is applicable or not, but , some years ago I was at a pioneer type exhibition in Florida. There was an old fella there who was demonstrating old hand tools. He actually drilled square holes with a hand brace using a triangular bit that looked to me like a triangular file. making a round pilot hole first, I think the secret here was the slow speed of the brace. It probably would not work with a power tool. It was a very interesting demonstration to say the least.

Drill a hole just smaller than the nail, then use a small square file, smaller than the nail, with 2 safe sides to establish the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by keith zimmerman View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why this was moved from the Turning forum. What was the thought process involved. I got good information, but not related to turning. I must thank the person that moved it.

keithz
    I'm guessing it was because your original post said nothing of the bowl and its design elements. I know you're a turner, but I don't think that's what the mods go by...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore