Thread: Good video on segmented turning

Good video on segmented turning

I just watched a video of Bud Latven lecturing on "Segmentation Fundamentals" at TheWoodworkingChannel.com . I thought it was an excellent introduction to the subject, and contained a number of time-saving tips.

I was pleased to see that The Woodworking Channel is back on the air, and has a new format that allows one to select videos, rather than having to view whatever is playing at a given time.

To view videos you need to join, but membership is free. (Note "nickname" is the same as "username".)

To view the video I mentioned, select "videos", "AAW" and then scroll down.

Cary

2. Another video collection on segmented turning

Cary - I took a look at the Bud Latven video on segmented turning that you mentioned. Informative indeed and nice suggestion. I'm a "flatwork" guy and do more furniture than turning, but I was recently introduced to an award winning segmented turner - Don Leman - and was inspired, not only by his accomplishment of the technique, but perhaps more inspired by Don's innate sense of design and his application of design to segmenting.

Perhaps you'll find this useful or interesting - I have a personal video blog, that I call woodtreks, where I combine two of my hobbies; my love for woodworking & wood art and my interest in documentary filmmaking. So I put up videos to share about people in the craft that interest me. It won't come as a surprise to those of you who segment, but I was captivated by the technique and decided to put together several short video clips on Don Leman that get inside his head and how he thinks about his work and he also shares a bit on how he does the fundamentals. I had fun doing them and I hope that some of you segmenters or aspiring segmenters, or just anyone who appreciates the art, might enjoy taking a peak at this short videos. Don sure got my interest and I think I'll trying some segmenting in the future. The videos are at: http://woodtreks.com/how-to-turn-segmented-objects/37/

So anyways, I saw your post and thought I'd pipe in.

Keith

Thanks Keith for the great video blog, very nice site. I've signed up for the RSS feed. Thanks Bruce

4. Thanks Bruce for your feedback. Do you segment? Frankly, I've been surprised at how popular this has become.

Keith I am waiting on my new PM 3520b right now. Should be here today, I will try a segmented piece very soon. I was trying to get two of our club members to give me a lesson in segmenting, but no luck so far. Need to run up to Tucson and watch Bill do his work. I've researched the computer program but haven't jumped yet. I thought I'd just give it a go and see what happens. I can also try the clubs SAWZA copy. One of our members loves doing open segmenting, talked quite a bit about doing one at the last meeting. Any other books or video's you can recommend?

Keith, excellent website! Won't be long until the vendors will be contacting you to place some ads on your site!!

Keith,

I've just been to your website to watch the Don Leman videos. Good job, both you and Don. I look forward to exploring the rest of your site.

Cary

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pennell View Post
    ...Any other books or video's you can recommend?
    I can't imagine a better book on segmented woodturning than Malcolm Tibbett's The Art of Segmented Wood Turning: A Step-by-Step Guide, though I've read that Ray Allen's book is quite good too: Woodturning with Ray Allen: A Master's Designs & Techniques for Segmented Bowls & Vessels. Malcolm is a frequent contributor to this forum.

Cary

Thanks Cary, I check them out.....Bruce
    I have to agree it is a very nice site.

Keith can't wait to see the new video's.
    Last edited by Bruce Pennell; 05-16-2008 at 12:41 AM.

10. Thanks guys (Jeff, Bruce, Cary) for the kind words about the Leman videos and my blog. I'm just having a lot of fun with this - and my wife let's me do it. I'm a "flatwork" guy and so most of my life I've been focused on furniture, etc., but in doing this recent set of videos on segmenting, I've stumbled into your world and have just been absolutely impressed and excited by it (segmenting), and guys like you who do it.

Right now, I'm shooting an up-and-coming turner, Mark Damron, who is doing some very interesting things. He's working with large scale stack ring lamination turnings sliced from 5" thick solid blocks, 20+ inches in diameter (no witness marks) and fabricates his own tools that allow him to do things that would be difficult or impossible by other means. Damron is a toolmaker by trade which takes him really out there with his technique. But his sense of design is what draws me to him. I think you'll get a kick out of these videos on Mark. If you subscribed to my RSS feed or email notifications at my site, you'll get an automatic notice when those videos are online and live. Should be soon.

Anyhow, again thanks for the encouragement. I haven't gotten tons of feedback, so it's nice to know someone is watching.

Keith
    http://woodtreks.com
    Last edited by Keith Cruickshank; 05-16-2008 at 12:32 AM.
    Keith Cruickshank

Nice job Keith. Good quality on the video, and the site is laid out well.

I started in flatwork and then got into turning a couple years ago. IT consulting puts bread on the table.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

12. Gary - thanks for the feedback on the vids. Yes, this segmenting could be addictive. I've lived in the IT world too. The tech stuff is pretty fun, but there is something about the tangible rewards of working with wood and one's hands. Anyhow thanks for the welcome here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Nice job Keith. Good quality on the video, and the site is laid out well.

I started in flatwork and then got into turning a couple years ago. IT consulting puts bread on the table.
    Keith Cruickshank