Thread: Way OT: What does a school bus charter cost?

Way OT: What does a school bus charter cost?

Does anybody happen to know how much it generally costs per mile to charter a school bus? Yes, I can call some bus companies, but I am not going to waste my time if the estimated cost is way higher than our group could afford.

Some of the leaders in our scout troop seem to think with high gas prices that a school bus will be a cheaper way to get 31 scouts to summer camp. The camp is 460 miles round trip.

We have approximately $900 budgeted for transportation. A school bus would have to be $2 a mile or less to be cost effective. I am 99% sure that it would cost more than $2 a mile especially since the bus would have to make two trips or the bus company would have to send a car and driver along to take the driver home.

We only reimburse parents for gas, but we can make 8 round trips for $920 based on average 18 MPG and $4.50 a gallon.

I'm not sure on the cost here, but I do know that it's a long process and any non-school use has to be approved by the school board, not sure what the scenario is there, but depending on your time frame, you might want to check on that as well.

I wouldn't bother asking about a school bus. Call a charter bus company or check web sites. My church books them all the time. They must be at least somewhat economical. Otherwise, we'd be driving.

This would be chartering a school bus from a commercial school bus operator. Most of the school districts here do not operate their own buses.

A coach bus would be $3 to $4 a mile which is way over our budget.

Chartering a bus comes up every time gas prices spike, but higher gas prices mean higher costs to charter a bus. It does reduce the amount of time parents spend driving to/from camp plus no wear and tear on vehicles.