Thread: Electrical problem at the new shop

Electrical problem at the new shop

So I finally got my equipment in the newly acquired gar-shop. So far there is only a single 120V outlet available (more wiring to come) but I never expected that single outlet to be totally underpowered!

I tried two different extension cords, one of which has a power indicator light. Although the indicator lit, NONE of my shop tools (table saw, miter saw, band saw, drill press) would power up when plugged in. Same with the other extension cord.

As a test, I ran the cord to an outlet in the house proper. From the interior outlet the band saw and miter saw ran well, but nothing doing with the table saw. Outside of hoping that I have even more reason to buy a new table saw, I am growing a bit concerned.

Anyone else ever run into this problem? I assume the only answer is to hire an electrician to check this out and to wire a few more outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Thompson View Post
    So I finally got my equipment in the newly acquired gar-shop. So far there is only a single 120V outlet available (more wiring to come) but I never expected that single outlet to be totally underpowered!

I tried two different extension cords, one of which has a power indicator light. Although the indicator lit, NONE of my shop tools (table saw, miter saw, band saw, drill press) would power up when plugged in. Same with the other extension cord.

As a test, I ran the cord to an outlet in the house proper. From the interior outlet the band saw and miter saw ran well, but nothing doing with the table saw. Outside of hoping that I have even more reason to buy a new table saw, I am growing a bit concerned.

Anyone else ever run into this problem? I assume the only answer is to hire an electrician to check this out and to wire a few more outlets.

How long and what gauge is the cord you are trying?

I can only assume that the outlet in the garage is so far away from the service panel that the addition of the extension cord is causing too much voltage drop.

Do any tools work when plugged into the garage outlet directly?

There's probably a marginal connection someplace between the garage outlet and your service panel. It could be easily accessable, like in the outlet itself, or it could be somewhere further upstream. An electrician should be able to track it down. And, of course, he can give you a quote for pulling a higher-powered feed to the shop.

Single outlet in the garage would probably be a GFI. You might want to replace it (temporarly ) with a regular outlet to see if thats the problem.

Ed

Pull the plug out of the wall (be sure to shut off the breaker) and measure it or at least look at it to make sure connections are being made. Lottsa ways to skin this cat but a multi-meter will be cheaper than an electrician.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

My thoughts
    You have several issues

1) the Outlet doesnt work right

Your 'indicator light' in the cord might be powered through the neutral (crossover current miswired) and ground, and you have an open hot, or you have a hot with a bad connection

Since you describe this as a single outlet circuit, and do not note a GFCI at the outlet, check the circuit panel. Is this circuit on a GFCI breaker? if so, thats easy to reset the breaker.
    Also verify your circuit, trip the breaker manually and see if the 'indicator light' goes out.
    Potential issues:
    a) Outlet is bad (check wires at side or back with voltmeter)
    b) Wire is loose somewhere (check all connections)
    c) Wire is compromised (torn or broken)
    d) Breaker is bad

2) the table saw doesnt work right

Given it does not turn when (verified) power is plugged in
    a) Bad plug wire
    b) Bad switch
    c) Disconnected wire between switch and motor
    d) saw/motor has a bad bearing or motor is wired for 220 V (apparent if the motor hums but motor does not turn)

Craig (not an electrician, but had my share of electrical experiences)
    The wisest thing in the world is to cry out before you are hurt.

Board-Stretcher 101 : I cut it twice and it's still too short. I don't understand?

I agree in pulling it out of the wall. It should be a GFCI deppending on when the original was installed. If it is not. If its a standard outlet. Next check and make sure they didn't use the quick connection holes. The ones where you strip the wire and just insert them in the holes. Those are notorious for being bad connections. If you go by a hardware or Borg. Pick up a new outlet. It could also be bad contacts inside the current outlet.

As for the table saw. It may be pulling too much for the length of cord / guage of cord to handle.

Ran by the house at lunch. The cord is 14AWG. My breaker box is also in the garage.

Talk about erratic behavior, I tried my miter saw directly to the outlet--it worked. I tried my extension cord again . . . and it worked for my miter saw. I tried the cord with my band saw . . . and it worked for about 15 seconds. The lighted switch on the cord had tripped. I switched it back on, tried again, and after 5 seconds it tripped. Then I switched to a normal extension cord, and the Bandsaw ran.

The tablesaw would not run, regardless of cord. It is a cheap delta that could probably run on a watch battery, so I would appreciate it if we would all agree that the table saw is shot and needs to be replaced.

I'll check the outlet and for the GFCI when I get home. Thanks for the advice.

Ran by the house at lunch. The cord is 14AWG. My breaker box is also in the garage.

Talk about erratic behavior, I tried my miter saw directly to the outlet--it worked. I tried my extension cord again . . . and it worked for my miter saw. I tried the cord with my band saw . . . and it worked for about 15 seconds. The lighted switch on the cord had tripped. I switched it back on, tried again, and after 5 seconds it tripped. Then I switched to a normal extension cord, and the Bandsaw ran.

The tablesaw would not run, regardless of cord. It is a cheap delta that could probably run on a watch battery, so I would appreciate it if we would all agree that the table saw is shot and needs to be replaced.

I'll check the outlet and for the GFCI when I get home. Thanks for the advice.
    By lighted swtich on the cord, do you mean it's a power strip with an integral breaker? if so, I'd check the rating, many of them are 10A. Depending on it's age, it could just be shot, those things don't last forever, expecially not when powering inductive loads.

If things work when directly plugged into the outlet, you can pretty much lay the blame on the cord/strip you're using.

If the TS doesn't run regardless of where it gets it's power then it's probably a safe bet that there's some issue but without taking a meter to it, tht's about all that could be said. It could be it's own plug/cord, or the switch, or the motor, too many things to quess without some readings.

If things consistantly work when plugged in, I'd discount the GFCI aspect of the garage receptacle and probably the basic wiring as well.

Don't be surprised if there's less capacity available to you than you expect, many garage receptacles are shared with the garage lighting and garage door opener. So be aware that that circuit might not support too much in the way of tools.

Couple of thoughts...get rid of that "lighted" extension cord for your shop...go buy a nice 25' 12 gauge extension cord. That should solve your problem with the bandsaw. Then try plugging the ts into the outlet directly...is the ts wired for 220?...if not try plugging your new extension cord into some other outlet from the house and see if it runs then....when you're all done with that start planning a subpanel/outlets/lights

ds

Danny

Better hurry up and junk the table saw. Especially if its a tabletop i.e. direct drive model.

Get yourself a bigger saw, you've earned it after all the electrical frustration you have had. Plus its easy to justify to others about the need to replace that broken tool.

Craig
    The wisest thing in the world is to cry out before you are hurt.

Board-Stretcher 101 : I cut it twice and it's still too short. I don't understand?

If the house is a pre 1990 model, the GFCI circuit could feed both bathrooms, outside recpt., and garage. You could easily have 100' of #14 wire before the garage recpt. Talk about voltage drop.